GO!

Is a Bichon Frise right for me.

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chloe- ♥

Captain- Chloe-Captain of- the Water Park

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 11:04am PST 
Okay well we have three cats and we go outside when we want to but we are still willing to come out anytime if needed with the dog. I think they are cute as ever and I'm willing to groom every day if needed but I don't know for sure if they fit our lifestyle. We are also beginner dog owners and Chloe is actually a relative's dog. Here is the Bichon Frise profile page:
http://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/Bichon_Frise
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 1:18pm PST 
What are you really looking for in a dog besides cuteness? How much exercise, size,grooming and so on?
[notify]
Chloe- ♥

Captain- Chloe-Captain of- the Water Park

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 3:18pm PST 
I'm mainly looking for companionship, not actually just cuteness, I only mentioned that. I am also willing to give daily walks unless it is too cold, then I may have to back out. I am also willing to groom however much is needed.

Edited by author Sat Jan 8, '11 3:19pm PST

[notify]

Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 4:50pm PST 
I can't tell you much about Bichons, as the only Bichon Winnie inherited was the coat. Because of that, I can tell you one thing--be prepared to GROOM!!! Every single day, a thorough brushing, and check-over for ticks. Course, you can always clip the dog, but then you must pay for the groomer, unless you know how to do it yourself.

As far as personality goes, the two I've had the opportunity to meet are very outgoing, love to play, and are all around clowns (in a good way!). They're fun little buggers wink
[notify]
Jack

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 9:17am PST 
Since you are new to dog ownership and to the breed, I strongly suggest finding a bichon rescue and fostering for them. This will give you an idea of what the breed is like and what caring for a dog is all about, while giving you space if you decide the breed or a dog is not right for you.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 9:37am PST 
I think a Bichon could work for you with the criteria you gave. My aunt and uncle have always had them and I have several as clients. They don't require a lot of grooming as in brushing, but like a poodle do require being shaved or clipped every month or so. Their coat grows continually, so the clipping is a must, even if kept in a show cut. However, as they age their white coat tends to thin and they are susceptible to sunburn, warts, and other lesions. So you have to be vigilant and they are not a dog to be left outside.

Their exercise requirements are low in my opinion. A quick walk twice a day or a longer walk once a day and they're happy as a clam. Maybe ball inside the house too. They generally get along with most people and other pets as well. They are definitely cuddlers. I don't think they're one person dogs like other companion breeds though. In general I think they're easy keepers.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 8:27pm PST 
be perpared for antics. they're very mischevious, attention seeking dogs. They're not as much of a lap dog as people might think. they're very active, fun loving, play oriented, manipulative and super smart
[notify]
Boogie

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 12:37pm PST 
I wouldn't recommend a bichon for someone looking for a affectionate, loyal dog, easy to train dog. Most bichons turn into spoiled, diva jerks after a year regardless of whether they are neutered or not. I've cared for several bichons and a lot of dogs I've taken care of with aggressiveness, excessive barking, aloofness and just plain selfish behavior were bichons. I am caring for a bichon right now who is currently screeching at me because I'm ignoring him and typing this. You have to be able to be very patient, very strict and know how to deal with bad behaviors that will arise from this diva breed. You cannot be upset with a dog that is so dense it takes 5yrs to teach it one trick (like sit). I've trained and dealt with difficult dogs for 10yrs and fostered some of the most difficult dogs and bichons while easiest to care for were by far the least affection and friendly. Check out animal planets dog guide makes and search for a good breed for you. http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do#apl_na v
[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 7:27pm PST 
Boogie, I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Any intelligent, babied (badly trained) dog will act the way you've described. The problem is that bichons communicate their wants extremely well (almost talk) and people respond and give in. The dog learns to get its way. Well-bred, well trained bichons are highly intelligent, easily trained, wonderful family dogs. Yes, the grooming can be expensive but you can learn to do it yourself and keep your bichon in a shorter cut. Training is key with the bichon and amateur training can fail with this breed (they will outsmart a not so prepared trainer). But if you attend positive method training classes and can stand firm when that little clown face smiles at you and that amazing array of sounds comes out of that little mouth, a bichon can be an amazing pet. My girls are wonderful therapy dogs, agility competitors, and rally obedience trained. They are not perfect, but do have manners and behave better than most children. As with any breed, do your homework and plan for an energetic whirlwind who will astound you with his affection, intelligence, and gentle nature.
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Sat Jan 29, '11 1:25am PST 
I love my baby. She's always been very easy going and never required too much exercise, although she does enjoy the freedom to just run around wild when the mood strikes. If you brush the dog every couple of days you shouldn't have much of a problem with matting. I take mine to the groomer every 3 months and get her shaved. Mine has always been content to just snuggle right up beside you, especially if you're scratching or petting her. She loves being a lap dog.

Hydee has never been a very vocal dog. She used to have a backyard and would bark only in the backyard, or if someone knocked on the door. We moved 3 months ago and I haven't heard a peep from her since. I almost miss her bark!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3