GO!

Do small dogs actually need booties for the snow?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Juliette- Rose

Mama's Girl

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 3:01pm PST 
I have a small breed dog shes around 12 lbs. We just recently had a blizzard up north and I took her out to play in the snow which she loved. But I didnt buy her booties for the snow/ice/cold weather. I heard from a friend that her vet recommends small dogs should wear booties for the winter weather for their paws but I am on the fence on if dogs actually need booties? Will it harm her paws if she dosn't wear booties this winter? Just lookin for some opinions on the bootie situation. Thanks and Happy New Year Everyoneparty
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 3:27pm PST 
If it's just snow, no, as long as she's not used to boots, she doesn't actually need them. Of course you'll want to make sure she's not out in the snow long enough to risk frostbite on her paws, but if it's just potty time or supervised playtime, she's not going to be at much risk of something happening without your noticing. If you're going hiking in these conditions, that's different and some protection might be appropriate.

If you're walking her on city streets or anywhere that uses road salt, or where it's very ice, though, I would really recommend some kind of protection. Either booties or musher's wax, something to protect her feet from the effects of road salt.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 3:36pm PST 
Paris hates the cold so she just goes out to potty and comes back in. Nicky loves to play on the snow. I just keep an eye on him and when he starts holding his feet up I bring him in.
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 6:38pm PST 
No booties herecheercheercheer
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 6:48pm PST 
I wish I could get Sarah to wear booties! We go to the dog park rain or shine, cold or hot. I have an Aussie who LOVES the cold and is so active in cold and snow (when it's warm out she just lays around). I would like to be able to stay longer at the park, but Sarah's feet get cold and we have to leave. She will tolerate a jacket though, so I can at least get her to wear that!
[notify]
Jujubee

Extremely- Squirmy Escape- Artist

Barked: Fri Dec 31, '10 4:00pm PST 
Jujubee loves to play in the snow but she starts shivering pretty quickly so we don't stay out alot. I keep her off the sidewalk though in order to avoid the salt. I read about these rubber booties that are supposed to allow the dog to feel through the bootie so that they can feel what they're walking on. I'm considering getting them for Jujubee.
[notify]
Drover- Deputy Of- Security

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Fri Dec 31, '10 4:10pm PST 
im definitely not a little dog ( unless you call an 85 pound labrador little!) but my mom always puts bag balm or something of that sort on my paws if I go near or walk on the road. If it is just snow im ok, but the road salt really hurts my paws. My mom used to have a little pomeranian, and she had some booties for him. He didn't like um' too much, but they were good because he HATED the bag balm being put on his feet.
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Fri Dec 31, '10 7:42pm PST 
It's not particular to size but just generally to dogs. If your pup is going in your back yard or front where you use dog safe salt or melters then it's fine. My pup generally won't complain as long as he's running around and staying relatively warm and I am talking about a dog who freezes with three layers of sweaters on unless, like I say, he's actively running or playing at the park, even walks have to be brief on the single digit days.

Chances are, that if you are going for a walk someone is putting out road-salt so I don't risk it. Rocky had blisters and burns on his front paws about a week ago. It was painful and not so fun to see. We were indoor for a couple of days and I had to wash them with hydrogen peroxide, put antibiotic cream and gauze up every morning. I would take the gauze off over night to let it breath and so he would lick it to promote healing. I also had to carry him outside and back in to do his business, put him down, he would do his business and off inside we went again, he barely got up to do anything the first two days.. Not fun. We now have muttluk booties as you can see from our picture.They stay on even deep int eh snow as long as they are properly fastened. I won't risk it. I use excel paw wax sometimes for very short outside non pavement trips and either way I rinse his paws with warm water and dry when we get inside because even the booties aren't fully water proof after spending a long time in the snow and walking through puddles.

It's a lot of work and sometimes a pain in the **s for me and him but it has to be done.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 7:40am PST 
Depends on the dog. IF I walk my dogs in the snow I have to carry them back as their paws freeze fast and then they limp and refuse to walk. I put boots on them and they are much happier as their paws dont freeze anymore.
[notify]
Jelly

The world- belongs to me!

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 2:34pm PST 
It really depends on the dog and the activity. Jelly is generally fine just in our backyard with supervised play. When she starts to hold her feet up then I bring her in. When it gets extremely cold then she can't even stay outside long enough to potty without her feet getting cold. At that stage I usually bring her back in and once her feet warm up then she goes back out to finish her potty and right back in again. She really doesn't like booties and doesn't potty willingly when wearing them. If she really gets desperate then she uses the pee-pee pad in the house. I usually put boots on her feet when we go walking on the street because of all the salt and gravel. As much as she hates the booties she forgets about them when we are going for a walk.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3