GO!

my friends chi

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 12:09pm PST 
my freind just got a sweet little chi and is looking for tips to help out with house training and general things to not have a snotty little dog
she wants to do right by him and is socializing him well with other dogs cats and kids
she already makes him walk she doesnt carry him (unless its really snowy out)
any help would be great
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 2:27pm PST 
Your friend sounds like she is one the right trackway to go I brought Princesse to every dog friendly place I could think of. I tried to socialilze her with children, but she doesn't seem overly fond of them. I treat her like a dog. I take her for walks , she sleeps in a crate, she knows what "no" , "leave it" and "come" mean. Being so small I do have to take some precautions. It is pretty cold here in winter, so she is litter trained. If I have to take her out in the cold I put a coat or wrap a blanket around her. I also check before I sit down to make sure she isn't there. I had a scare one day when we had visitors. The lady went to sit down and I screamed "Princesse!" She was right under the womanshock When I screamed , Princesse moved and the woman stopped sitting. What a close call! As long as your friend socializes, trains the Chi and remembers the dangers to small dogs, she should do finebig grin
[notify]
Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 2:32pm PST 
thanks
btw how did you start litter training we are in sw onatario and it gets bad in the winter she might want to litter train him to make life easier plus who want to go out in a blizzard anyways
[notify]

Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 4:11pm PST 
Sorry I took awhilesmile Litter training is the same thing as training the dog to go outside. When they see the dog getting ready to do their business, pick them up and put them in a puppy pad lined litter box ( cat litter is dangerous for puppies). When they do pee/poop in the box, praise/treat them lavishly. In other words, party time! If they eliminate elsewhere , ignore and clean with Natures Miracle. A word of caution... it makes it easier for them to become poop eatersconfused If your friend is willing to deal with that ( IE pick it up asap ) then litter training may be appropriate.
[notify]
Paris-- CGC &- Therapy Dog

Missy Wiggle- Butt

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 8:34pm PST 
Pippa my 4 1/2lb Chi is litter box trained. I got her from my friend when she was a year old, and my friend had her potty pad trained. After months of going thru tons of pee pads I decided I was going to try and litter box train her. I bought a dog litter box (they look different then cat boxes) and put her potty pads in the box. At first she would try and potty on the corner of the pad where it hung over the box, but eventually she would pee on the pad in the box. Then I got litter. I got The Worlds Best Cat Litter (yea I know shes a dog, but its corn based, not clay). At first I only put a handful, then i gradually increased the litter until it totally covered the potty pad with a good inch of litter. Then I stopped with the potty pad and only use the litter. Its great because I can scoop it every couple days and flush it so no pee or poop smell in my house!!
[notify]