GO!

Small Dogs Playing With Big Dog

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Adolfo

One Cool Dude

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 9:32am PST 
One of our neighbors has four little Shih Tzus who Adolfo absolutely adores. Adolfo normally hates all other dogs, but he loves these guys. I have no idea why. Maybe it is because they are neutered males and females. Adolfo will try to kill other intact males. Anyway, the owner does not want to let them play with Adolfo. I feel bad for Adolfo because he wants to play so bad. He plays with my sister's Chihuahua/Terrier Mix and he is half the size of the Shih Tzus. Would you have a problem with your small dog playing with a 100 lb Dogo?
[notify]
Gizmo

I iz a special- puppy :)

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 3:06pm PST 
I think it depends on both dogs and the way that they play together. Gizmo gets to play with bigger dogs, none as big as 100lbs, but we don't have any that big close. He gets to play with Tucker, who is probably 70-80 lbs, they do pretty well together. BUT Tucker doesn't play to hard so Gizmo isn't in any danger, they are ALWAYS supervised as well. Shih Tzus are a stokier little dog so usually they can play more rough and tumble than other little dogs. It really just depends on the owner, I can see why they would be nervous with such a big dog, espeically if you don't spend much time around them.
Hope you can find some playmates for your pup big grin
[notify]
Chan

100% Purebred- Schusky

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 3:40pm PST 
I can understand an owner being cautious, but the problem is that a lot bof owners are overly cautious with their small dogs. Chyou is 10 lbs and she plays with the other dogs (up to 50 lbs) in my home. I let her play with really big dogs at the dog park. I try not to be over cautious with her because that leads to lack of socialization and behavioral problems in small dogs. I think some owners are just too worried about their small dogs and shelter them from the world, which really does the dogs no good.
[notify]

Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 5:56pm PST 
If I knew the dog, yes, I would let my dogs play with him. Nicky actually plays better with larger dogs. He can be a bit rough for other small dogs.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:10pm PST 
I would not be eager to let my small dog--and shih tzus are even smaller than Addy--play with a very large dog who has a track record of being aggressive with other dogs. Which is what you're talking about here.

Addy does play with large dogs, if I know them and am comfortable with how they play. If I am not comfortable with how they play, or if they have a bad track record, my main concern is not the other owner's feelings of disappointment that their dog doesn't get to play with mine. My first obligation is to my own dog's safety.
[notify]
Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 4:18pm PST 
Depends what you mean by "play". Would I let my guys run or paw with a big dog, no. The most I allow is for them to be in the same room and interact with the big dog in a down position. I will let them walk around the yard, but not run around.

My tiny Papillon whose 4 lbs loves my brother's 110lb Malamute. My little girl crawls on him and lickes his mouth. He is trained to stay down and he doesn't mind. He LOVES the Paps.

Just one swipe of a big dog's paw can herniate a small dog's back. I'm less worried about aggression and more about accidents.

I don't think it's being mean to the big dog so much as it's about being a responsible small dog owner.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 6:26pm PST 
Thank you from a big dog!smile My guy is still an adolescent & he doesn't always know where his big 85 lb paws are. Couple that with a strong prey drive to chase small furries (we are working hard on that). I would feel awful if my dog accidentally hurt another dog, so I try to avoid small dogs in the park, especially if they are chasing a ball/stick. In the woods he meets lots of small dogs on the paths, but there's no toys or running...just meet, greet, move on.
[notify]
Pebbles

Pebbles \'\'The- Expressive- Dog\'\'

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 2:36pm PST 
Well......
the first thing I would think (if I let Pebbles play with a huge dog I did not know) would be ''OMG!shock The big dog will eat my dog!!!!!shockshock
How's your dog's behaviour? Is he good with other dogs? Has he been socialized? If yes,(and has good behaviour) then he should be able to play with small pooches. If not, then he won't be able to play with small dogs. You need to show your friend that your dog is friendly and well mannered. Maybe you should train him?
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Thu Dec 16, '10 8:23pm PST 
well..we have both small and big dogs. our smallest (lilly ) at 12ish pounds and Roxy around 110lbs and all the other 5 in between lol. they all play all the time, but they all grew up together as well
[notify]
Oliver- Lambchop- Loeser

Cuddle ME!!

Barked: Sat Dec 18, '10 2:53pm PST 
I have no problem with small dogs playing with a big dog, as long it is supervised.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3