GO!

Whine Whine Whine WHY?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 7:28am PST 
Charlie woke me up in the middle of the night 3 nights a go with a high pitched whine, she wanted out. Now she whines excessivly. She will sit, look at me and WHINE. its been three days and I am going insane with the whine whine whine grrrr whats wrong with her and how do I fix it lol..

She will be 2 years old in May. And is a JRT
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 8:01am PST 
I would say to call your vet and ask if there might be a physical cause she could check for (your dog may be whining because something hurts).

If it's not pain, I'd say that unless the signal to go out was already a whine before, likely as not, Charlie's just figured out "OH HEY WHINING GETS ME STUFF I WANT, SWEET!" and sadly, in that case my best advice is you'll just have to suffer horribly while ignoring the whines until the behavior extinguishes. confused
Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 8:37am PST 
Agree wih the above poster, I would take her to the vet just in case there is something wrong. I'm betting there isn't though laugh out loud Sasha whines all the time, my mistake was that I gave into her the first couple times she whine so now she does it all the time to get soemthing. She put two and two together and figured out, 'hey if i whine mommy gives me attention or whatever i want!' Sneaky dogs blue dog
[notify]

Morgana

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 8:49am PST 
It seems to be an attention / excitement thing. She has NEVER woken me up in the night before . So when she did I took her out, she went and got praise. So maybe she has learnt that whinning equals attention...(She puts two and two together VERY quickly.) She has also started "nesting" she is not prego or anything but she suddenly likes to dig into a pile of blankets (or pappers) and make a warm nesting bed.

The vet (while NEW) doesnt seem to think anything is wrong
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 9:25am PST 
The nesting might just be because it's winter (if it gets cold where you are). Maybe she's even just... cold, and telling you she hates it. My cat spent all last winter following my mom around the house and crying to be picked up, because the floor was cold, he likes to be held, and he wanted to be off the cold floor and in warm arms instead.

Then again, if it is whining AND nesting, and your dog is female, maybe it's a false pregnancy? If she's not fixed I'd suspect that, if she is, it can, very rarely, happen in cases of a failed spay (and is a situation to be medically dealt with because incomplete spays can be dangerous).

Though I think the most likely culprit is attention. A mix of NOT giving ANY attention EVER for whining and giving some good rewards for behavior you DO like should hopefully have her quiet again soon.

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 9:28am PST

Morgana

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 11:14am PST 
No niether dog is spayed. It could be a false pregnacy.... although her last heat was 6 months ago now. I am not going to spay unless there is a medical need for it or circumstances change. Right now she is NEVER out of my sight. I live on the 5th floor of an apartment building .
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 4:06am PST 
No worries, it's good to have the clarification on the situation but I wouldn't have snapped at you for that. Some people wait to speuter, or choose not to.

However, knowing that she's intact does give us another clue. It really could be a false pregnancy. I don't think there are any med risks associated with it (??), but it does mean you might just have to kinda ride out a series of annoying behaviors. Eventually, she'll figure out she's not having puppies.

Good luck!