GO!

Bigger Small Dogs?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Paul

Tough Stuff

Barked: Sun Nov 28, '10 8:59pm PST 
I'm seeing a lot of really big "small" breeds lately. I saw a Yorkie at the vet the other day that was HUGE! It was the size of a Cocker Spaniel. I couldn't believe it! Our neighbor also has a Chihuahua that is probably around 10-12 lbs! Why are these small breed dogs so large? Is it bad breeding or something?
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 4:50pm PST 
from whatI've seen, a lot of pet store bought dogs end up being larger than the standard, because millers can make more money breeding larger specimens of the breed and getting more puppies out of it than if they bred a to-standard toy breed. the shelter I work for aids in puppy mill rescues, and all of the toy breeds we get are much larger than the standard.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 5:32pm PST 
With the more popular breeds, you will see more off standard dogs. There is a much bigger gene pool, since there are more dogs and more people not breeding to standard. My sister's neighbors have a German Shepard that is much smaller than the breed standard. The dog is about the same size as a border collie, but looks just like a German Shepard. I have also seen tiny labradors and giant labs. I once mistook a giant black lab on a hiking trail as a black bear.

the over sized dogs may be do to bad breeding like puppy mills, but many are probably home bred by people who are not following the standard. AKA backyard breeders. Sometimes even responsible breeders produce under sized dogs or over sized dogs. These would be pet quality dogs.

The over sized toy breeds are often bred for profit, since they sell for more money. This means more breeders not following standards and being more concerned about profit.
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Tue Nov 30, '10 8:12am PST 
Yeah, the toy breeds are popular and growing more so, so they're profitable, but a bitch who produces 1-3 puppies per litter is a lot less profitable than one who produces 5-7--so the bitches are bigger than standard, and their pups turn out bigger than standard.

Also, even responsible breeders will have some pups who turn out bigger than the standard--and those are going to be placed as pets, not kept as show dogs.

It's possibly worth remembering that chihuahuas and Yorkies and Chinese Cresteds and Pomeranians and quite a few other toy breeds used to be bigger than they are now; it's really easy to creep back up to the older, larger size if you're not working to keep to the current standard.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Nov 30, '10 2:39pm PST 
Well I can only speak for my big small dog! Kit is a Papillon, which are normally around 10lbs, but he weights 15. We got him from an amazing show breeder, but she sold him to us on a pet contract because he doesn't meet the breed standard. His litter mates all turned out to be the proper size...but Kit is loving his life as a spoiled pet. His breeder told us that once in awhile you just get puppies who are bigger than the breed standard, or don't match the standard in other ways. We had another breeder tell us the same thing, that producing larger dogs isn't really all that uncommon. It doesn't make them any worse as pets, but they can't be shown.

Kit's breeder jokingly called him a 'reject' puppy because he has a couple of 'flaws' that make him unshowable. He'd do horrible in a show ring, but we love him to death and I actually embrace his 'flaws', because I think everything about him makes him a perfect fit for our family.
[notify]
Gizmo

I iz a special- puppy :)

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 8:41am PST 
Gizmo is oversize laugh out loud He couldnt be shown, he is way to tall and lanky, fur is too thick, and he is bigger than he should be, but I love him all the same. He is from a BYB, tehy didnt care just wanted to make some money, he also had the mange when we got him eek But I have heard from some breeders taht oversized puppies do come up big grin
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 9:35am PST 
Nicky is 14 pounds so he is waaay past standard. I actually went to go check out a 5 pound Pom (median of the standard I believe) and he was cute as a button but too small for me. Paris is 8 pounds and she is still a good size so if I wanted a standard Pom I'd get one around that size.
[notify]
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 10:34am PST 
Interesting topic.

Gus was supposed to be under 10 pounds. But he is around 15. He has a sibling who was just about double his weight when she went to her forever home at 8 weeks. Of course he is a mix, so there is that factor.... never really know, right?

IMO I think it's over breeding trying to create smaller small dogs. I know in my state there are always puppy ads for chi's or yorkies that are mini -- under 3 lbs full grown. People want toys, not dogs. Just seems wrong to me. Seriously think it's messing up genes.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 11:04am PST 
Gus- of course there are the bybs that specifically sell undersized dogs as well, but I find that the majority of people claiming the dog will be under x weight do it because it's sellable, not because that's the way the parents have been..... usually they are also selling the puppies prematurely (before 8 or even before 6 weeks) so that the puppies appear to be 'properly' tiny...

Of course, they often grow up to be way bigger than even standard cousins..

I once overheard at a vet's office a lady talking about how her Pekingese was only supposed to be less than 10 pounds, how she had paid her "breeder" extra for the "teacup" Peke.. I saw her Peke.. it was, full grown, way bigger than even standard Pekes...

Then again, she did say she thought it would stay small - course she did, she probably picked it up when it was maybe 6 weeks old. confused
[notify]