GO!

What grooming products would you recommend...

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Miles

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 12:32pm PST 
For a medium sized shih tzu with short hair? I notice his lower back's hair (near his butt) gets brittle over time and the combing is only a temporary solution as in minutes, not hours.

I'd like a recommendation for some kind of dog shampoo, what kind of comb I should use, and other grooming tools you'd recommend!

I'm no expert, so go easy on me party

-sincerely, Miles' owner
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 1:32pm PST 
Do you mean it's brittle as in the hair is dry/coarse? thinking

Have you tried a leave-in conditioner/detangler spray? Perhaps an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner would help also.

Is this the only area that has this issue? Does he have dry skin in that area too?

What grooming tools are you using now?

Sorry more questions than answers. laugh out loud
[notify]
Miles

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 3:45pm PST 
That's okay! (:

I use baby shampoo, but am tossing it in favor of actual dog shampoo. I don't usually brush since the hair is so short and it really doesn't do much. The comb I use for the dog is also one for a human lol

And yes, the fur is coarse to be exact. Brittle was a bad choice of word.

And I haven't tried any leave in or oatmeal shampoos. Should I use those?

Edited by author Wed Nov 24, '10 3:46pm PST

[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 7:11am PST 
You might get more help if you post in the Grooming Forum - I've only had Jewel since July but I pester my groomer all the time so I'll tell you what I know!

Yup, toss the baby shampoo in favor of dog shampoo. Jewel has dry skin and my groomer recommend two different brands of oatmeal shampoo and conditioner to me. She also told me that since she has dry skin to only wash her once between appointments (we go every 7 weeks) so her natural oils don't get washed away as much.

As I was grooming Jewel this morning I paid attention to the area you were talking about above the tail and she's a bit coarser there too. She's got some Shih-tzu in her too so I don't know if that's a breed thing or a dry skin thing. I gave it a shot of leave-in conditioner/detangler and worked it in with my hand (she's got longer hair) and I'll do so for a few days and let you know if I notice any difference.

Even with short hair a soft-bristle brush might be better than a comb. This guide can help you pick a brush - http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2099&aid=789
[notify]
Luci

Luuuciii, you- have some- 'splainin to do

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 3:52am PST 
I have a Shih Tzu female (11.5lbs) and a Shih Tzu/Pekingese mix male (~14lbs). The female has a fluffy under coat with a little more coarse top coat, and a little bit of a skin issue, so I was recommended to use an oatmeal shampoo to soothe her skin when it's itchy. I found earthbath oatmeal & aloe shampoo, and I LOVE it. It makes her SO soft and fluffy, and it seems to last for almost 2 weeks (as long as she doesn't get into any mischief).

I first found it at Petco but recently also found it at Fred Meyer. Little spendy ($9.99 a bottle here), but a little also goes a long way.
I let it soak for 5-10 minutes before rinsing (5 for regular baths, 10 when they're itchy). It seems to help her skin quite a bit, and it gives the added benefit of a SUPER soft and fluffy coat.

I definitely recommend it!

I have also noticed my female seems to have extra coarse feeling fur if I've cut her fur under a half inch or so in length. The shampoo helps with that also! She feels much softer and fluffier the longer her fur gets (I keep her between an inch-2 inches in length usually), but it does still help her feel much softer when her fur has to be cut short.

I also use a brush quite similar to this one: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m_Ebad3-yQk/SrEA0qd4AcI/AAAAAAAAB5M/_i9k3_ qkZPw/s400/Double-Sided-Wooden-Dog-Brush.jpg
I brush with the bristle side regardless of the length of their coats. Regular brushing is good for their skin, too. Plus, both the dogs just love that side of the brush. I usually have either one stretched out and snoring within minutes.

Edited by author Sat Dec 4, '10 4:01am PST

[notify]
Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 1:59pm PST 
I would definatly reccomend some Oatmeal shampoo and some conditioner, most shih tzus I know have sensitive skin, so Oatmeal is the way to go. I would ask your groomer, if you get him groomed, oftentimes they have lots of tricks to use and know whats best for each dogs problems. I know I bug mine constantly about things laugh out loud
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 2:42pm PST 
I would recommend any of the Earthbath products. Oatmeal and Aloe and the Tea Tree Oil and Aloe are my favorite for dry itchy skin. Just make sure you leave it on for around 5-10 mins to let it really help. I love all of the Earthbath products as they are all natural, pH balanced for dogs(baby shampoo is too harsh on dogs skin), and they all smell really good.
[notify]
Stormy Puppy- (Found a- home!)

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 3:20pm PST 
Baby shampoo is no good for dogs, it strips the oils from their coat.
I would suggest brushing regularly, maybe get a Zoom Groom or other rubber brush. Brushing is good for the skin and coat even if they have short hair.
If you want to improve the coat texture, the first step is a good diet. If you don't already you might also try supplementing with omega oils, you can ask your vet for suggestions on this or look for salmon oil for dogs with vitamic E added.
Usually conditioners do more than shampoo on the texture of the coat. Some types I've found that make the coat softer are Biogroom, Les Poochs, or Fresh n Clean.
[notify]
Chloe- Clarice

best friend

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 7:30pm PST 
I was all excited to tell you about the Earthbath products but then I saw a post about them from yesterday. I'll add another plug.....I have 2 miniature schnauzers and schnauzers are known for sensitive skin. The Earthbath products are AMAZING! and they are very concentrated so a little bit goes a long way and the bottles last quite a while even though I have 2 dogs I'm bathing each time.
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 8:20pm PST 
I personally love Happy Tails Spa Comfy dog shampoo, and fur butter conditioner. Bingley's groomer loved the conditoner so much they started recommending it to clients after I brought it in for them to use on him. I love how he feels with that conditioner smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2