GO!

Marking Inside

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Carole

Pit-a-licious!

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 2:01am PST 
Why do small dogs all tend to mark indoors? Every small dog I've ever met marked his territory inside. My big guys don't do this. I don't get why small dogs do this and most large dogs don't. Is it because they are small and feel threatened or is it because they are allowed to get away with more because they are little? But my big boys have never even tried to mark inside. Not once. And I don't do that whole "Pack Leader" mumbo jumbo, so it's not like I'm constantly dominating them or something.
[notify]
Gizmo

I iz a special- puppy :)

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 1:43pm PST 
I honestly, don't think that it has anything to do with the size of the dog, if all of your small dogs have marked in the side maybe it has something to do with the way you react to the behavior. Some dogs just like to mark alot more and some dogs don't mark at all. None of my male dogs, small or large have ever marked indoors. You need to interrupt the behavior, usually with a loud noise, take the pup to its proper potty place and let him finish, then give him lots of rewards. Also taking them for lots of walks can help with their marking, because they get out and get to mark over other dogs scents and therefore don't do it indoors.
Also if you haven't cleaned the area that has been marked before well enough your dog may mark again, because they can still smell the urine. Hope I helped a little.
[notify]
Gunther

Muffin Lips.

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 1:50pm PST 
I thik this is a stereotype.

I had an 85 lb Chow Chow/Lab mix and he marked inside several times. I think it's about what the dog is allowed to get away with, confusion where housebreaking is concerned, lack of consistency, absence of a proper walking and potty routine, or just simply a lack of supervision. Many people train their little dogs with Pee Pads, and then they can't understand why their small, male dog started lifting his leg on the furniture. I believe any dog that is properly housebroken, no matter the size, will NOT mark inside the house. Gunther is still intact and has NEVER marked inside.
[notify]

Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 2:59pm PST 
I have plenty of small, male toy poodles and Chinese cresteds that have NEVER marked inside my house. I agree it is a problem of housebreaking, not a problem of small dogs! Some people just tend to not notice a toy marking as it may be a tablespoon of liquid compared to several cups worth with a big dog. And, small dogs are normally given more freedoms in a house at a much younger age than a bigger dog since their owners mistakenly believe they won't get into as much trouble. But, if they are running off marking in the far bedroom and it isn't noticed for a day or more, then it is a problem of teaching housetraining, not a problem of a small dog marking more. If house training is carried out the same way as it is with big dogs there will be no problems with marking.
[notify]