GO!

Momo the SAR Chihuahua!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 5:15pm PST 
Tiny chihuahua set to join Japan police

Momo has passed the test to be a search-and-rescue dog, and she starts work in her new job in January. Because of her small size, she will be able to squeeze into spaces too small for "traditional" search-and-rescue breeds such as German shepherds.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 5:29pm PST 
I'm elated that whoever wrote the article actually took the time to capitalize the "S" in "Shepherd"... smile

Other than that, pretty cool! And a good idea- my only worry would be a dog that size being crushed if something were to collapse in while doing the work. Though I suppose that's always a risk, regardless of size.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 7:02am PST 
I'm elated that in a web community where people continually type loose in place of lose, and weary when they mean wary, someone finds it worthy of comment that the author of the article remembered to capitalize the S in German Shepherd.

Edited by author Fri Nov 26, '10 2:15pm PST

Approved by forums moderator

Gunther

Muffin Lips.

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 7:49am PST 
Go, Momo! I think that's incredible, and thank you for sharing, Addy. Dogs as intelligent as Chihuahuas would be great for SAR. I never even thought of the size being an advantage also. thinking
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 8:15am PST 
I wonder how many Chinese cresteds there are doing SAR

Well, I don't know of any, and leaving aside the fact that tiny SAR dogs are probably always going to be a niche function, I can see a few difficulties. Such as, either no hair over most of the body to provide any protection at all, or a long, soft coat that mats if you look cross-eyed at it. Brains, trainability, handler focus, love of finding games--they have all that. I just can't imagine the extra work involved in providing basic physical care under SAR conditions.

Granted Momo appears to be a long-hair chihuahua; but chihuahuas are shedding dogs, less inclined to mat if you run a comb through their coats regularly.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 10:10am PST 
Here's a video too!

Click!

Go Momo! cheer
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 10:45am PST 
Japan's tests regarding police dogs are really...... tame.

You can take test over and over, and you can have a civilian handler/owner/trainer (doesn't have to be police or military trained).. just like you would a driver's license exam.. never mind that the dog clearly doesn't have what it takes, just that you can train it to eventually pass the test.. there is a 70% pass rate.. bol.

This isn't just about SAR dogs but large dogs like GSDs used for apprehension too.

But, I guess that's to be expected. We have an extremely civil society with a low crime rate - in fact I have never seen a dog used by the police in Japan.

I read this in JP news yesterday, congrats to Momo. She is a cute little Chihuahua.

Edited by author Thu Nov 25, '10 11:48am PST

Approved by forums moderator
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 4:18pm PST 
Serious trailing or SAR work pretty much concludes that if 35 out of 70 any-breed anyone-trained dogs passing this specific exam where the test consists of a single incidence of finding a person on an un-aged trail within 5 minutes, is not very serious SAR work.

Edited by moderator Thu Nov 25, '10 9:37pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 4:43pm PST 
^^ 32 out of 70, typo.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 7:13pm PST 
Hey pups, I think this thread was created to celebrate a small breed dog's accomplishment, not debate over the worth of that accomplishment. Let's keep it friendly, okay?
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2