GO!

petite Basset Griffon Vendeen Hound dog

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 4:16pm PST 
Is it possible that the dog I rescued a year ago is a Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen Hound Cross? They told me she was a Shihtzu Bichon Poodle but she has NONE of the traits of these breeds and ALL of the traits of a Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen... She looks like the breed. acts like the breed, chews, digs, scents. Is easy to train yet very independant, she is a me me me dog yet likes her space. ECT just like the long worded breed. lol
Oh and why does it have such a long name lol
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 4:51pm PST 
My friend breeds Petites & can see why you'd come to that thought with your but it is kind of hard to tell from your pics...Could you put some more pics up?
[notify]
Morgana

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 5:11pm PST 
yes I will post pics asap
[notify]

Morgana

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 10:56pm PST 
yay pictures are up of Morgan. The one of her under the futon with a pink slipper beside her is when we first got her. Then theres one of her in a field laying down that was taken shortly after she was groomed. The one of her head she is under the chair, she needs a grooming here. lol I cant remember if I uploaded more or not duh lol
[notify]
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 4:14am PST 
I think Shi-tzu cross is very good guess. I just don't see the fur/face/or body of a PBGV. shrug I do see Shi-tzu!
[notify]
Morgana

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 7:26am PST 
Her body is long. REALLY long like PBGV ....Her great grandfather, uncle, father? dog LOOKED identical to this dog http://www.dogsindepth.com/hound_dog_breeds/petit_basset_griffon_ven deen.html
The dog in the center of the page. HE was the right size, temperment, looks, everything and he was bred to a shihtzu pb female. they then rebomed the male and kept a new male from the litter bred it to the mother, got rid of the mother kept a female and bred her to the original male.
according to them.... They say the original male was a bichon TOY poodle cross at 38-39 pounds sure.

She has all of the traits of this breed, personality wise. And if shes not this she has Dacshund or basset in her. (Dont you just love mystery rescue dogs yay lol) In anycase shes SEVERELY inbred.

Morgan is special, but being part this would explain ALOT. It would also mean shes not as dumb as we thought, it explains why she digs why she howls why she likes to bark. Why she loves to chase the ball,or cats, or squirrels or birds ect. Why she sheds as much as she does ect ect and HER PAWS.

M is 22 lbs 12 inches tall and 2 feet long from shoulders to her bum, 3 feet from nose to bum and 4 feet if I include the tail. She was malnorished as a pup and is still underweight, she is also slightly shorter then what she should have been and the vet thinks that once I FINALLY get weight on her she will be about 28lbs-30 lbs.

Edited by author Thu Nov 18, '10 7:34am PST

[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 8:36am PST 
That is not a very common breed, is it? I mean, what are the chances? I had somebody insist that Samoa was a Bernese Mountain Dog because of his coat and his black and tan coloration, but I doubted it, because they are not an everyday sort of breed.

Least not around here...
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 8:56am PST 
I can kind of see some PBGV in her.
[notify]
Morgana

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 9:22am PST 
Sampson, with the amount of inbreeding, and the amount of neglect she suffered as a pup, I see alot of it. She has shih tzu I know for sure but I do not see Bichon or Poodle at all lol. I wish I still had the picture of her father grandfather whatever dog. The Original male.

There are a few here, They are not super common but more so then say Malnois, lol. I am going to talk to the vet about it next wednesday when she goes in to get her flea meds

Edit to add:
Oh and here mountain dogs are very very common lol so common I no longer want one as EVERYONE seems to have oneparty

Funny thing is I speak in french to the dogs as few people here know alot of french lol

Edited by author Thu Nov 18, '10 9:24am PST

[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Thu Nov 18, '10 9:29am PST 
Oh, cool! And as the vet told me, it only takes ONE, right?

But in Samoa's case it seemed kind of far fetched as we live in the land of retrievers...so it was far more likely he was that, than a Bernese.

I love the PBGV but only ever saw one on tv at a dog show!

Edited by author Thu Nov 18, '10 9:33am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2