GO!

Collars!?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 7:15am PST 
Every year for Christmas Santa brings Kit a new collar. A year has been, so far, about how long it takes for him to start wearing them out. The one he has now isn't horrible, but the color is starting to wear off and stuff.

Anyways I'm debating between getting him a Lupine collar, or just going on ebay or etsy and finding him one that's made with rolled leather.

Kit's leash is Lupine and it's been going strong for almost 2 years now, so I figured a Lupine collar might be more durable than other kinds I've tried.

But I heard that rolled leather is good for dogs with long hair? Kit's a papillon and he has really long fur, especially around his chest/neck/ears. Sometimes I feel bad, because his fur sometimes gets tangled around parts of his collar and I can't imagine that's comfortable for Kit.

I don't use his collar to walk him, I use a harness for that. But I attach one of his ID tags to his collar and leave that on him during the days, just in case.

So whatcha think? Lupine, rolled leather, or is there some other kind of collar you can recommend?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 7:22am PST 
I've also hear that rolled leather is good for longer coats and I should probably have one since I'm growing out Jewel's coat but I can't give up all the pretty colours on Etsy. shocklaugh out loud
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 4:36pm PST 
I have Lupine for my poms. They're really durable, and don't forget that they have a lifetime replacement guarantee if Kit should happen to chew through it or it breaks for other reasons. It came in really handy when Saige was in her teething stage when she ruined 2 leashes and 2 harnesses.
[notify]

Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 6:19pm PST 
My Cavaliers have long hair, too..similar to a Papillon. They have rolled leather collars, but to be honest, I use others more. They also have Lupine "sets"....collars, harnesses, leashes and couplers. I love the thin collars that Lupine makes for the smaller dogs. I use their Roman harnesses and the thin leashes and couplers. They are very durable and have a good variety of patterns, imho.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 8:15pm PST 
Just a warning, watch out for the dyed leather collars. I bought Milton a studded spiked leather red collar. When it gets wet, the red dye leaves the collar and gets on my dog's neck. It dyed a red ring around his neck. I guess it was a lower quality product.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 11:53pm PST 
Peter's collar is leather and it doesn't bother his hair longer hair one bit. I did splurge 2 Xmas's ago and buy him a Louis Vuitton collar. Totally worth it. It's withstood river outings and draggings through the mud, rain, river and lakes. snoopy
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 8:18am PST 
My terrier's rolled leather collar lasted forever. If you clean/condition the leather every once in a while you may never need to replace the collar.
The only reason I stopped using Pooch's is because I bought a nicer collar from Paco Collars (thin leather, actually made for cats.)
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 2:17pm PST 
Hmm thanks for all the replies!

I always get Kit red accessories, red is his color. The collar he has now is red leather, not rolled leather though, and the color looks like it was painted on and now it's chipping off. Luckily it's not staining his fur though.

I kind of like the look of the leather collars more...but I did find a Lupine collar that I like too and of course they have the lifetime guarantee. Maybe I'll just end up getting one of each lol, it can't hurt to have two of them I guess.
[notify]
Clark

CGC, OA, AXJ, OF

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 5:06pm PST 
Lupine all the way, unless you're the type who likes to buys collars a lot—because with Lupine, you have no reason to buy another one, ever. I had a leash get near-destroyed recently. I just popped it in the mail with my address and Lupine sent me a new one, it arrived in about 4 days.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 6:20pm PST 
Yeah that's what I like about Lupine! I have a Lupine collar that I've had for almost 2 years now. I've never had to have to replaced, but I'm glad I can have it replaced if I ever need too.

I don't mind having to replace collars though.

How is Lupine with long haired dogs? Do they get caught/tangled in fur? Kit's fur is a lot longer now than it is in any of his pictures on here. His long fur is one of the main reasons I was thinking of a rolled leather collar.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3