GO!

taking care of 10 yr old chi, how much food?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

ruger

pistol

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 3:52pm PST 
kids had to leave their little chi with me, i have a cattle dog, the little tiny guy has eaten some, but how much should he eat, hes had about 10 kibbles all day, hes sad and my pup isnt helping,
thanks
juliet and ruger
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 4:28pm PST 
What's his weight? Can you ask your kids how much he normally eats/how much they feed?

Even though little dogs eat more per pound of body weight than medium or big dogs, a chi's normal food consumption is going to seem tiny compared to a cattle dog's. He probably is sad and he may be off his feed because his people aren't around and he's in a strange place, but depending on his weight and the size of the kibble, I wouldn't be shocked if his normal daily intake isn't much more than about twice the "ten kibbles" you say he's eaten.

As long as he is eating something, and doesn't show other signs of illness, I wouldn't worry if it takes him a day or two to adjust.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 5:46pm PST 
The feeding amount depends on the brand of food, age, activity, and size of course. I would go by the feeding guidelines on the bag of dog food you are feeding. Older dogs, if they are less active should receive less food.

My dog is 15 pounds and eats an entire cup of food a day. He is close to 10 years of age. He goes for daily walks and is healthy. I keep him at a stable weight.

If you are keeping this dog long term, feed the recommended amount listed on the bag of food. If the dog gains weight, decrease the amount, if he loses some increase. You don't want to over feed a chihuahua, they can gain weight pretty fast.
[notify]

ruger

pistol

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 5:27am PST 
thanks, they free feed the dog, and i think hes about 3 lbs, hes a little chunky, i think he may eat more of their 2 yr ols sons dropped food, the food they sent was kibbles and bits, the pieces were way to big, it hurt us to watch him eat it, i bought him some , i think same quality, beniful, it had soft chunks, and little hard ones, he seemed to like it fine, i guess im doing ok then, my acd is raw fed and yhe little guy seems to want rugers food, i dont blame him, thanks all,
juliet and ruger, and cujo(the chi)
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 5:57am PST 
It is easy to over feed a Chi. You may want to get some weight off him. Package recommendations are only a starting point. See http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx
[notify]
ruger

pistol

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 5:00pm PST 
well i only ave him for a few more days, i had to make him a small gormet dinner i felt so bad about his lack of fun, i soaked a few kibbles and added alittle of rugers ground turkey and egg, he ate it all and lovd it, he went out and pooped and peed three hundred times, ???why save it, it is still really yellow , im leaving water in his crate tonight, hes stressed, i want him to drink more,
thanks all,
juliet and ruger, and cujo
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 5:07pm PST 
At 3 pounds he probably needs about 1/4 cup per day. My dogs eat 3/8 cup and they're around 5 pounds.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 6:16pm PST 
Just a heads up, beneful is not a quality food. It's the same type of food as kibbles and bits. There is little meat in beneful and they even put sugar in it. The sugar is probably added because dogs would not eat the food with out it. Beneful contains low quality ingredients and is marketed as a healthy dog food.

Beneful is not healthy. It's one of the most unhealthy foods. There also is artificial flavors and colors in the food. This is one of the worst foods to feed a dog.
[notify]
ruger

pistol

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 4:05pm PST 
i agree about the food, i dont think i can change their minds on feed, i have been mixing some ground turkey and raw egg with it, he loves it, im gonna do my best to get them to at least buy a better food, i didnt want to screw his gut up to bad putting him on taste of the wild, witch i still have some, i use as training treats,
thenks,
juliet and ruger
[notify]