GO!

Sweater for the fall?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Wed Nov 3, '10 10:14pm PST 
I have a jacket for Max for the winter, but I am wondering if I should get him something like a sweater for the fall? It has been down around 4 degrees Celsius (about 39 degrees Fahrenheit), and really cold at night. His last walk is usually around 12am. There is frost in the mornings. He loves to go to the dog park to chase balls, and we are usually there for 1-2 hours.

He is an 8-month old mixed breed, weighing 23 lbs. and has a medium thick coat.
[notify]
Riley CGC- DSA

Designer Mutt!

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 8:50am PST 
I wouldn't if I were you. Even in weather where we need a moderate jacket, they don't. They have a coat on year round that does a pretty good job at keeping them warm. Especially if it's when you're exercising him. His body temperature will be up and he should be just fine. Riley is a small puggle and I don't put a jacket on her unless it's heavy winter coat weather for me!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 9:02am PST 
I wouldn't worry about it, Jewel's only 8.6 pounds and it's been colder than that here and she hasn't worn her jacket yet. Okay well I made her wear it when it was snowing because I wanted her dry.
[notify]

Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 11:03am PST 
I usually don't have Bingley wear anything until it has snowed. He has his fur coat to keep him warm, and all the moving around they do outside keeps them warm enough if it's dry. For snow or cold rain, he has a rain coat and a fleece jacket, and a couple sweaters to switch around with.
[notify]
Mini

A Heartbeat at- Your Feet ♥

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 11:27am PST 
I agree, Mini doesnt get a jacket until the snow and only because sometimes her chest/tummy will be touching the high snow, and that's only on longer walks.
Good luck, cant wait to see pics of your little guy in his jacket!
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 8:29pm PST 
You don't want to put a sweater on too early. The dog should become acclimated to the weather before putting a jacket on. Let you dog's little system get use to the less extreme temps. My dog is a canine with a short single coat and little body fat. He's fine when it's around 40. My dog is naked at those temps.

If the sun is shining and the temps are not below freezing my dog is comfortable. It was 10 degrees on yesterday's walk. I put his sweater on and his jacket. He walked pretty far with out stopping, whining or feet shuffling.
[notify]