GO!

a rat terrier? me?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Annie

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 9:31am PST 
I'm an all out big dog person, don't stone me please, yipper dog fans. However, I vonlunteer for a small dog shelter because they are the only no kill and I havn't been able to step inside a kill shelter for long time. That being said, there's wuite a few of these little guys who have sat in the shelter for a long time, everybody wants the cute puppy that the backyard breeders and puppy miller sell on the side of the road. Of course these cute puppies turn into adults and they get thrown into the pound and the shelter rescues them.
Anywho, I may be getting my own appartment, and am looking for one that allows dogs. That being said, I've considered what I'd like in a dog and Polk, rat terrier who's been at the shelter way too long, as caught my eye becuase of his intelliengence. The reason I volunteer is not only to spend time with lonely dogs is also to keep my training skills as I one day I will be obtaining my trainers lisence. And Polk is a model student. Learned 4 commands in 4 very short seesions. His intelligence amazes me and I can only imagine what I could teach him if her were mine.
On the other hand, I am not only a big dog fan, I am a hound dog fan. Love, love, love hounds, in which there are many in the kill shelter near me. To be able to save just one would make a differnce to that one dog.
Polk is small but intelligent, not sure why he hasn't gotten adopted yet beyond people thinking only a puppy is worth their time. He's 4yrs, not very old people!
I'm posting this in a small dog forum so I will probably get a bunch of replies advocating the rat terrier. What I have decide is what is more beneficial? Saving the big dog from euthanasia, or saving the little dog from possible lifetime in a cage. Polk is more adoptable than any big dog, but somehow he still gets passed up. If I went to the kill shelte, I'd be looking for an old hound, afterall, if you spend much time around coonhounds, appartment living not the best situation for a young hound, so I'd be looking for a large old hound, not very adoptable to other people.
This is Polk.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17353232

(after rereading post and recognizing so many spelling and grammer errors I decided not to correct but to appologize, so sorry I typed too fast and didn't reread beforehand. smile )

Edited by author Sun Oct 31, '10 9:36am PST

[notify]
Mid

Barked: Sun Oct 31, '10 4:41pm PST 
Rat terriers are an extremely intelligent breed. Very, very much a large dog in a small body. I shared my life with a rat terrier for over a decade and he was by far the most intelligent, loyal, strong-minded dog I've ever had.

However, if you don't like "yippy" dogs, rat terriers are notorious for barking to sound the alarm. They typically take their job of guarding home and property very seriously. But yes, they are extremely easy to train, eager to please, and loyal to the end, but they tend to get bored VERY easily.

Polk, is a very, very cute and yes, young dog. If the shelter is a non-kill shelter where Polk is held, and your heart belongs to those adorable hounds, I would certainly adopt another old hound. Especially if he/she was living in a kill shelter. I think Polk has a high chance of being adopted, but the older hounds... not so much.. frown They need you a lot more.
[notify]
Lily

support rescue!

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 1:58pm PST 
I adopted a rat terrier from our local kill shelter. I wasnt looking for a rattie, but just so happened upon her and I couldn't leave her there. She was a wonderful dog! She lived with me in a 1 bdrm apartment and she did just fine there. She didn't bark any more than any other pup would. She was very smart but also very independent. She knew what certain commands meant but she would only do them on her time. This was my 1st dog on my own and I wasn't very hip to discipline. If she didn't want to sit, I'd give her the treat anyway. I really wanted a "lap dog" and she wasn't that....atleast with me. She always wanted to be with me but never like to be held or snuggled with. However, when I came upon hard times, I wasn't LOOKING for a new home for her but it just so happened that a wonderful woman I knew who was my neighbor (and loved rat terriers) wanted to take her and since I knew she was very responsible and a great dog person, and would take care of my baby like I did, I let lily go live with her. Lily wasn't happy with me anymore, as she was very bored and Linda had another dog for her to play with. After Lily got comfortable she was climbing in this woman's lap all the time!!!! She never did that with me. She also was more obediant as Linda was a much stronger personality than I was and could handle so much dog. The only thing that didn't change is that Lily was always a "bolter". If she could slip by you and get out the front door, you'd be trying to catch her for hours. She was very prey driven, but of course she was...she's a rat terrier! When I finally adopted again I decided to be a bit more choosey and take my time but I will always have a fondness for ratties.

Edited by author Mon Nov 1, '10 2:02pm PST

[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 3:00pm PST 
don't stone me please, yipper dog fans

Ya wanna think about expressing your preference for big dogs without using demeaning terms for small dogs?

a large dog in a small body

Mid, sorry, but this has always struck me as something big-dog people say to justify the fact that they've met a small dog they like. It assumes that Real Dog=Big Dog.

Annie, any dog you save, that's a Good Thing. And I'm strongly in favor of placing a lot of importance on what dog fits your life best. A rat terrier is not like a hound; as Mid said, they are alarm barkers. They are supposed to be alarm barkers. And very intelligent=easily bored. I believe, you'd know better than I, but I believe that hounds are more laid-back in their indoor behavior, at least if they are getting enough outdoor exercise.

If you decided to go with one of the old hounds, don't feel guilty about Polk. He's in a no kill shelter, and ANY dog saved, is Good.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 3:09pm PST 
Well, I'll come from the other side. I have 2 coonhounds and live in a small apartment. They both are 3 years old.

The bad thing: trying to find a rental that allows two large dogs and doesn't kill your budget charging pet fees.

I find with daily exercise my girls are very mellow in the house. But a terrier would probably need as much if not more exercise.

I do think the terrier breeds are more barky. In a rental, this could be bad. You could fined or evicted if you couldn't get it under control. One of my girls only bays outside (and is very vocal then) but never has she bayed inside. My other girl I actually had to teach to bay, and now she will on command but is quiet otherwise.

No matter if you chose the terrier or a a hound you will be saving a life. So no matter what, dog wins!

On a further note I see you want to be a trainer. How much experience do you have? Hounds are not your typical obedience dogs and can be quite a challenge. This could be good if you are already experienced but highly frustrating if you aren't ready for it.
[notify]
Gunther

Muffin Lips.

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 3:13pm PST 
Addy - I didn't mean it that way. Mid was my family's dog, but I'm Gunther's mom. I love little dogs the most, and they are certainly all dog to me no matter how small. I was trying to convey to the possible adopter that Mid acted like any other dog, despite his size. Believe it or not, I was trying to nicely say that little dogs can offer the exact same things that big dogs can, when given the chance. I recently wrote an article on how tired I am of "big dog people", so I'm sorry if you thought I was being rude. I was trying to open the OP's mind is all.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 3:18pm PST 
Follow your heart AND your head, Annie.

B&D make a good point: make sure any apartment you're living in/will live in soon allows big dogs, and doesn't charge extra. If you are feeling doubtful about this Rattie, don't go with him. But meet both dogs, if possible. Try to set aside the emotions of the moment and instead think carefully about how the dog reacts to you. Does he "feel" right with you?

Big dogs are a big money commitment, bigger than small dogs typically. Heartworm preventative costs more, food costs more, and typically, exercise requirements are higher. Beds are bigger/costlier, as are the crates.

Addy, I highly doubt the intention of the post was to insult small dog owners. I, for one, did not feel insulted in the least.
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 3:58pm PST 
Lilly is not a yippy rat terrier. She is really smart and not hyper at all anymore..she was up for awhile but she calmed down alot over the last 6 mtns!
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 4:02pm PST 
I would go with whichever dog fits your needs, personality and lifestylesmileInterestingly enough, I did not go looking for Princesse and never thought I would be a Chi owner. When I look at it objectively, hubby and I are actually ideal Chi owners. Hubby is semi retired , we have no small kids at home , and now own our own home and I was educated enough to know about the issues specific to tiny dogs. Who knew?wink

Edited by author Mon Nov 1, '10 4:05pm PST

[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Mon Nov 1, '10 7:03pm PST 
Well, I never even look at the posts in the Small Dogs category, because I'm basically a big dog lover. However, my big dog died a month ago and now the pack here consists of (you guessed it) a rat terrier! I didn't even know what a rat terrier was until the neighbors across the street had a rescue group bring one over to see if they wanted to adopt him. Joey ended up being adopted by us, and of course, I fell in love with him. Now he has mast cell cancer, and I don't know what the future brings for us, but I know I love him dearly, and just as much as the past dogs I've had, which have all been big.

Yes, he's smart, and intelligent, and barks when someone comes to the door or something moves outside. He also sometimes chews and swallows cloth, although I think that may be related to the cancer and what it's doing to him, rather than other possibilities such as separation anxiety, boredom, etc. He basically is a fairly low-keyed dog - a bit of a couch potato, really! Of course, he IS 6 1/2 now.

That Polk looks like a cute guy!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2