GO!

Bigger is not always better.

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 59)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 10:08am PST 
Epi, landlords' restrictions often have less to do with the landlord, and more to do with insurance. I'm a small landlord, I own a duplex and rent out the other apartment. Because it's a duplex, I have a very short list of insurance companies to choose from--and for a policy I can afford, I'm stuck with breed and size restrictions.

I lost out on a tenant I would have loved to rent to, because she had a dog I'd have been thrilled to have on the property--except that I would have lost my insurance if/when the insurance company discovered him living here. Handsome, sweet-tempered Sibe, perfect gentleman, and I was not able to rent to him and his mom. frown
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 10:26am PST 
Thanks for telling me that, Addy, that helps me understand it better. What a shame! I guess there's really not anything in the world insurance companies can't screw up. shrug
Mini

A Heartbeat at- Your Feet ♥

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 10:58am PST 
I never knew there were breed/size restrictions with insurance. I think it must be different in Canada. As renters we got our own insurance and we didnt even have to tell them about having dogs and our landlord's home insurance doesnt have any dog stipulations.
Sorry you lost out on a great tennant hug
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 11:54am PST 
Mini, you would not believe the crazy woman I wound up renting to instead...

Free advice I paid for with experience: In addition to the formal background check, Google your prospective tenants, too. frown
[notify]
Mini

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 10:52am PST 
Oh no Addy, is she really bad? naughty
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 12:48pm PST 
Fortunately, she is GONE! And her new address would not have been a surprise to me if I'd googled her name first. In which case, of course, I wouldn't have rented to her.

My tenant now is the son of the owner of the bodega next door. His girlfriend and their toddler live there with him. I've known him and his father for years--and if I have anything that even vaguely, remotely, distantly resembles a problem, which is quite rare, I drop by the store and mention it to his dad.

I wish I could get more in rent, but a trouble-free tenant who pays promptly is worth a lot. When I briefly felt like I was being lazy by taking this young man at the lower rent, a more experienced small landlord pointed out how long it would take to make up even a single month's lost rent, at the highest rent I could reasonably expect to get. laugh out loud
[notify]
Mini

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 1:11pm PST 
a trouble-free tenant who pays promptly is worth a lot.
SOOOOO true!! We're renting the downstairs of a house, our friend who owns the house lives upstairs and he's had HUGE problems with tenants before and even had his boat stolen!! shocksilenced
[notify]
Gracie- Caroline

my hair looks- fierce

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 5:49pm PST 
I have one who's about 13 lbs and her mom was a pit mix. I hate that "little dogs don't count" thing.
[notify]
Samurai

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 3:37pm PST 
The same person who discounts a small dog for its size is the kind of neanderthal who drives a huge pick up truck because because it "looks cool", and never really uses the big empty bed the truck is lugging around all the time.

I used to own a pug in Korea, and a few times when we travelled we dropped her off at a dog hotel that had a few webcams. Through the cameras we would be amazed to see our little pug quickly became the leader of a pack, with a Great Dane, a large Poodle, some Shepperd mix, a few other dogs, and a pot bellied pig (!!) following her where she went.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 59)  
1  2  3  4  5  6