GO!

Bigger is not always better.

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
♥- Daisy- ♥

Once you get a- Jack you never- go back!

Barked: Sat Oct 2, '10 5:59pm PST 
Hello fellow small dog owners. Have you ever heard of people saying, "Small dogs dont count as real dogs" or maybe something like "Small dogs are just fashion accessories"? I really just don't think its fair. Small dogs are not fashion accessories, a chihuahua is just as much a dog as a mastiff. I guess this topic is actually pretty pointless, but I am just so sick of people thinking big dogs are just so cool because they are big. *Sigh*
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sat Oct 2, '10 7:42pm PST 
Well, it depends on what small dogs the person has met.

It also depends on each person's definition of "real dog". For some, "real" refers to level of intensity, and I think we can be fair in saying a Chihuahua isn't nearly as intense as a BC, Dobe, GSD, etc. Others have simply been brought up to think the only "dogs" are big ones. Still others have only met small dogs that are pampered, spoiled, untrained, unsocialized brats, and in that case, I would have a hard time calling a dog like that desirable.

Most small dogs lack the intensity that many of the working breeds have, and in the same way, several of the giant breeds are also "softer". Really, it depends on breed and early socialization/training.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sat Oct 2, '10 10:17pm PST 
If "real" is determined by level of intensity and someone says small dogs are not real dogs, they obviously don't know any terriers!
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Oct 3, '10 4:36am PST 
It also depends on each person's definition of "real dog". For some, "real" refers to level of intensity, and I think we can be fair in saying a Chihuahua isn't nearly as intense as a BC, Dobe, GSD, etc.

But that's just saying it's okay to insult someone's dog because it's not the kind of dog you would choose. How do you think the owners of the Dobe or the GSD would react if they were regularly being told that their dogs aren't "real dogs"?

Others have simply been brought up to think the only "dogs" are big ones.

Again, that's just saying that it's okay to be rude to people about the fact that they like different dogs than you like.

Still others have only met small dogs that are pampered, spoiled, untrained, unsocialized brats, and in that case, I would have a hard time calling a dog like that desirable.

I've got a news shocker for you: there are plenty of untrained, unsocialized big dogs. Some of them are pampered and spoiled; others are lawn ornaments who, because of the lack of training and socialization, have been made into public menaces. Is a dog like that "desirable" ?

Yesterday I took Addy to the Blessing of the Animals. There was another Chinese Crested there, a Hairless. His mom was happy to have him meet other dogs, but explained that he's afraid of people and should not be petted. He was picked up as a stray five years ago and brought to the animal hospital she works at. He was scared and unsocialized, and bit everyone there--except her. He's made a lot of progress, and he was alert and watchful about all the people yesterday, but not pointlessly reactive, and able to relax and enjoy the company of the other dogs. His mom and I had a lovely conversation while he and Addy had a great time playing. Having had to work hard to get Addy to the point where she can relax and enjoy the company of other dogs, I could really relate to what she's done with her dog.

A little while later, someone arrived with a big, yellow Lab. The Lab appeared to be calm and relaxed--until the little hairless Crested walked up in a relaxed, friendly way. The Lab looked, and stopped being relaxed, and barked. The Crested was startled and barked back briefly--and then retreated to go meet someone who did want to be friendly.

And what comments did I hear from the other people who saw this? Laughter, and "It's always the little ones!"

It was like they didn't even see what had really happened. There was barking, and there was a small dog, so the small dog must have started it! Can't have been the Lab; everyone knows that Labs are "real dogs," and friendly, right?
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sun Oct 3, '10 5:51am PST 
woah, Addy, I did NOT say it was okay to insult people's dogs because of individual preference. I was trying to point out some of the reasons why this could be happening, not justifying it.

Yes, there are big dogs that misbehave. Size has nothing to do with that. Owners do. Bad owner, bad dog.
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Sun Oct 3, '10 7:43am PST 
That's a great touche' Pooch! way to go

Edited by author Sun Oct 3, '10 7:43am PST

[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 5:28am PST 
I don't define "real" dog by "intensity" or "size" or any other stereotype.

To me a real dog is any domesticated canis lupus who was bred for the purpose of humans by humans to be a companion or a worker. Size is irrelevant. If the animal looks like a dog, is a canine, is one of the many breeds of dogs or a combination of two or more of them... then, by golly, he must be a real dog! Certainly, he isn't stuffed.

Also, most of the small dogs I know are more intense than most of the big dogs I know. So what exactly do you mean by intense? Because when I think of intense, I think of terriers, chihuahuas, corgis, border collies... I don't generally think of dobes and GSDs, to be honest. I guess it depends on what you mean by "intense". But since intense is usually defined as an extreme (like extreme emotion, for example), I suppose any dog can be intense. Which once again leads me to, every dog is a "real" dog.

Being told my dogs aren't real dogs is a bigger insult than hearing they're "rats". At least most people who call them rats think they're not harming me in doing so (despite the fact that it irritates me) but people saying they're not real, are doing it to purposely insult me and my dogs. frown
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 6:58am PST 
I've been an owner of large breeds all of my life. I was raised with German Shorthair Pointers so I'm used to the larger breeds. I currently have a Pit/Box and a Box/mix. Doesn't mean they are "real" dogs. Just my dogs. I've read about a lady out west who owns poms. They hike with her daily. They are know to chase grizzlies away from her!! How awesome is that! Meanwhile my 60 pound pit/boxer is terrified of a chihuahua..... Go Figure!!
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 8:59am PST 
I've never heard the word "real" meaning "level of intensity".

Yup just looked up "real" in the dictionary, out of 16 different definitions and usages, none of them said anything about "level of intensity".

Who says little dogs aren't intense anyways? Apparently that person has never met my little dog. One of his favorite activities is going hiking with me - sometimes for up to 4 - 5 hours at a time...and he still comes home and runs laps around me in the house. He tires out my friends two border collies and still has energy to spare. Plus just because a dog is big, doesn't mean it's "intense". I know a lot of pretty lazy large dogs - a LOT lazier than my little dog, who's probably like 1/10th their size.

All dogs, all breeds, are real dogs! I've had a few occasions where people walking large or medium sized dogs have said things about Kit's size - and yes it is insulting. What happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say...".
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 9:17am PST 
Actually Kitsune, small dogs are Harlow's favorite to play with. She loves to run and it seems that the smaller pups are the only ones with her energy level that will run with her forever at the dog park. The dogs her size will just run for a little bit, then go lay down in the shade laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6