GO!

Very important ! Ivermectin toxicity in skyes

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ceridwen's- Cordial- Medoc

Do you love me ?

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 1:48pm PST 
"As we are aware, Skye Terriers have had serious, often fatal reactions to ivermectin (against demodex and heartworm ). The reaction seen in Skye Terriers is similar to that exhibited by susceptible Collies. The phenomenon of ivermectin toxicity in Collies was first described in 1983. Ivermectin causes neurologic toxicity in some but not all Collies at doses that are 1/200th of the dose required to cause toxicity in other dogs. Neurologic manifestations of ivermectin is susceptible dogs include hypersalivation, ataxia, blindness, coma, respiratory compromise and death. Skyes manifest similar reactions.

Despite numerous investigations during the 1980's and 1990's, the cause of this susceptibility was not understood. Recently, a veterinarian at Washington State University discovered that the ivermectin sensitivity in Collies is caused by a mutation of a gene ( MDR1 ).

This mutant gene may also give adverse reactions to other medications:

* Imodium
* Doxorubicin
* Vincristine
* Vinblastine
* Cyclosporin
* Digoxin
* Acepromazine
* Butorphanol

Other studies have shown that this mutant gene has the potential to act in over 50 different drugs and may include:

* Ondansetron
* Domperidone
* Paclitaxel
* Mitoxantrone
* Etoposide
* Rifampicin
* Quinidine
* Morphine"
This text si from : http://www.skyeterrier.org/ivermectimstudy.htm

Please if you have a skye, give this text to your vet ! It could save life of your dog. thanks for them !

Edited by author Fri Jan 16, '09 1:51pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 8:23am PST 
I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Ivermectin) - onlinecheappills.com I recieved my pills within one week of ordering them.
P.S. 5% discount coupon code: 4y3g6f4k
[notify]