GO!

Husky vs. chihuahua

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 5:21pm PST 
A friends Chihuahua got killed by a loose husky yesterday. The chihuahua was left alone off leash in the front yard completely unattended. A husky got loose a couple of doors down and came down and killed it. In my opinion, both owners are wrong. I do feel bad for my friend, but feel it should have been avoided.
Just curious what everyone else thinks, should the husky be put down? Or otherwise dealt with?

It's been my fear that something like this would happen to my husky. So I am very careful to never let her slip out. She has a couple of times, but I'm lucky she likes going for rides, because I've always been able to coax her into the car.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 6:21am PST 
I say both owners are responsible....that being said though, the chi, was it offleash in a fenced area, and was the owner out there? Or off leash no fence no owner? I do believe people need to be more careful about their dogs getting out, but hey it happens to the best of us. But it can be scary.
The chi should have been on a leash or behind a fence with his owner as well.
Sad situation
[notify]
Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 10:22am PST 
The chihuahua was brought into the front yard with no fence with the owner as he mowed and he left her outside after he was done.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 10:08am PST 
Both are at fault. The husky shouldn't have been loose and the chi shouldn't have been outside alone.

I hope they don't put the husky down for having prey drive and I hope it was quick and the chi didn't suffer much.

We are lucky, although Fritz is death on cats, he hasn't bothered Bellatrix.(our 5 pound chi) Still I never leave him alone with her, just in case.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 8:23am PST 
Ethically they are both at fault. The Husky should not have been loose, and Chi should not have been left outside unattended.

Aside from the general issues surrounding letting dogs run loose, small dogs are especially high risk from coyotes, fisher cats, bob cats, foxes, birds of prey, and even animals like cats and raccoons who may not want to eat them, but are feeling territorial. Of course these animals are a risk for all loose dogs, but I guarantee you none of my 45 lb dogs are going to be carried off by an owl! Any one of those could just as easily done what the stray Husky did.

Legally, fault will depend on the leash laws in that town. Some areas consider "on leash" to mean "on leash or behind a secure fence at all times, period." Others make exception for private property. Either way the Husky is at fault. Depending on the law, the Chi may or may not be.

Whether the Husky should be euthanized over this issue is too much a grey area to say without the full story. Accidents happen, and good dogs do get loose from very responsible owners. Taking a loved companion away from someone over an accident only adds to the tragedy. OTOH, plenty of people carelessly let their dogs roam and don't give a squat. If that is the case, this dog will almost certainly kill again - be it dog, cat, chicken - and should be rehomed with a responsible owner or euthanized.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 7:10am PST 
well put Ember
[notify]