GO!

Crates and huskies?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tallis

Named after the- Early English- composer

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 7:14pm PST 
Tallis really hates his crate, but he loves being under tables. He currently has one of the standard wire crates, but I was wondering if this is a husky thing, or he just doesn't like it. Or if trying a different style of crate would help. Thanks!
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 6:08am PST 
Lexus loves her crate, but I know a lot of dogs who really dont, but really it depends on what has been done to crate train. If no crate training has been provided then the dog will probably never like it.
What I did was left the crate out where she could go in and out as she pleased door left open throughout the day, and I would throw a treat or 2 in it now and then so that would catch her nose and she would wander in and a couple of her toys were there to and a bed, and I would practice with her, by saying "in" and putting a couple treats in there and then I would close the door for a few seconds, then open it, then increase the time I shut the door daily and with making her crate a "happy place" for her, it seemed to work and she doesn't mind it at all.
[notify]
Meiska

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 10:16am PST 
I agree with Lexus. Meiska loves her crate. We have one of the extra large wire crates in the living room off in a corner. We would tell her to go to her kennel whenever we left. We would always have water in there for her and give a few treats when she was a puppy. We always leave the door open so she can wander in and out when she pleases. She'll even take naps in there once in awhile.

As for being under tables, Meiska loves it too. She sleeps under the coffee table or even under the leg of the recliner, especially if someone has a blanket. Its like her own little fort. But as for the crate, just make it pleasing to your Husky. Eventually good rewards will help ease the tension/anxiety of the crate.
[notify]