GO!

Is it possible to have a kitten with a Husky?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Breeze

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 6:49pm PST 
I was thinking about getting a kitten, and I already have a 4 year old husky. I've heard that they have a high prey drive, which is why I've decided to do more research and get some advice.
He's never been aggressive and he's very friendly. Our neighbor brought a puppy to our house, my dog licked him for about an hour(we had to dry the pup, he was completely wet), he let it eat out of his food bowl without even trying to shove the puppy aside. When he's around smaller breeds at the park there are always dogs who want to bite him but he never responds to that. So, I guess I could say he's well behaved.
The thing I'm worried about is that he's very large, I don't think he's aware of just how much, he's playful and a bit hyper when guests come over. I've never seen him around cats, and I'm not sure how he'd react. I'm aware of the fact that they have to be introduced slowly, but still.
Is there a chance of him accepting the kitten or should I just forget about getting one?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:29pm PST 
There's a chance, but it's not a good chance. You need to find out how he reacts to cats.

How he acts with people and dogs is completely irrelevant. These are entirely different species, neither of which is prey. Ember had a 12-week-old Yorkshire Terrier dancing on her head a few days ago and loved it, and she would kill any cat without hesitation. Including ours.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 5:44am PST 
I agree with Ember, there definitely is a chance but not always....I have my 2 Husky girls and I have 2 cats, and they all get along great! Mind you my cats are not kittens, so I am not sure if that would be any different. My suggestion would be if you know any friends or family who have cats to maybe try introducing your dog to them.......um, carefully though.....
Keep your dog on a leash perhaps, but see how he acts around them, and I would continue to bring your dog around that same cat for a few weeks or even months and if things go well you could have a chance.
If you do get a kitten take extra care in making sure first of all that any time you leave your house, the kitten and dog should never been left alone in the same room together......never! Second make sure your kitten has an escape route where if she feels like getting away from your dog to have a quiet sleep she can.
Again, this is your decision, Huskies do have a great prey drive so please be careful!
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 3:31am PST 
Fritz shakes,licks his lips, stares, and drools when he sees a cat or rabbit. He would grab and shake hard given even half a chance. However, some huskies are okay with cats, you would need to get around a cat and some kittens and see how he reacts.
[notify]
Sisu

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 9:54pm PST 
Yes! But I would just be careful about how you introduce them! Because animals tend to be protective of there territory!
[notify]
Meiska

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 10:07am PST 
Meiska plays with our cat on a daily basis. They even sleep together on occasion. So its possible that Huskies and cats can get along. But I would be very careful since your Husky is already 4. Take him to PetSmart or a humane society and see how he behaves around them. Make sure you have someone help you since Huskies can get a quick burst of energy from thin air and it would be difficult to control the dog and the cat.

It is true that Siberians have a high Prey drive, but they are also one of the smartest K-9s around...which means they can be trained for almost anything. One on the best traits about the breed is that they love to learn. So test out the reactions at the store or shelter first, and if you think that they will be okay, ask if there is a return policy in case your Huskies behavior changes when you get the cat to his territory.

Bottom line, there is a chance that your Husky would be receptive to a feline....but be very careful on how you approach it.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 2:22pm PST 
Just to clarify, territorial guarding is completely different than prey drive. Both can be an issue, but confusing them for the same thing can end badly. Territoriality is about wariness of the unfamiliar, generally based in fear, which can usually be overcome through slow, positive introductions and time.

Prey drive is a straight up, instinctual, chemical reaction to stalk, chase, grab and kill. It is in all dogs, although to widely varying degrees. Companion dogs like Chihuahuas, for example, have very little prey drive and are known for loving their cats. Huskies were created without regard for lessening prey drive, and in many cases were left to their own devices when not needed for work, or when food was in short supply. They hunted for them selves, or died. End result is a dog with very high prey drive.

It is possible to train a dog to "think through" this chemical reaction, but it is very, very difficult and does not always work. Even when it does work, it can never be fully trusted when the dog has a generally high prey drive. Because this is a chemical reaction, it is not processed in the "thinking" part of the brain (hence the difficulty in training around it) and you can get a phenomenon called predatory drift.

Predatory drift can happen in any dog, including the Chi who loves cats. Something happens (often a high-pitched noise, or quick movement) that triggers that chemical reaction and sets off the stalk - chase - grab - kill process. This is what you're seeing in a dog park, when one dog twists his ankle and begins yelping, and several other dogs drop what they're doing and converge on him. It usually does not result in death in these dog park situations, but it absolutely can, especially if there is a significant size difference in the dogs or the humans do not get there fast enough. It is very, very dangerous.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 10:11am PST 
It's possible but it takes a lot of work. Dreamy was 3 when we found Monro and brought him home. He was probably only 4-5 weeks old and we had to wean him ourselves. We had a crate set up for him for a while for when we couldn't supervise them together and it took Dreamy a while to realize that she was not permitted to hurt him. They're now best friends and will run and play together and groom each other but slow introductions and persistant monitoring are a must. I need to add that Dreamy does have an intense prey drive. Almost anything smaller than her, small dogs, cats outside, rabbits, frogs (she got one last week, YUCK!) She becomes a psycopathic nut on high alert. Just be careful and go slow if you go for it smile
[notify]