GO!

dog food?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 5:04pm PST 
So, for starter we haven't had Bella for very long. Upon getting her we purchased Blue Buffalo dog food (based on the rec. of a pet store employee). My question is what are ppl's thoughts on Blue Buffalo, Pedigree, & Kirkland Sig. Food. Ive had no prob. with the Blue Buffalo and am only considering the other 2 due to the price (& sold at costco). I'd like to add that i have seen Blue Buffalo referred to as "pricy", and even though I am considering the other 2 due to cost, cost is not so much that it is my main concern. TIA
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 5:45am PST 
Blue Buffalo is a great food. Pedigree not so much......Kirkland I am not sure. I have never seen the ingredients, so can't comment on that brand. I feed Acana mixed with a bit of wet, but Acana is sometimes hard to find.
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 10:41am PST 
Blue Buffalo is alright, IMO it's highly overrated. Fox was on it for a little while and did just terribly. Smelly, greasy, constantly blowing coat, gaining weight, lethargic, recurrent ear infections... They have a very nice ad campaign, and I know some people are very happy with it, but overall I hear very mixed reviews.

Pedigree is almost literally garbage:
GROUND WHOLE CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/CITRIC ACID), SOYBEAN MEAL, GROUND WHOLE WHEAT, BREWERS RICE, DRIED PLAIN BEET PULP

Of the 3 main ingredients, 2 are by-products and the other is completely indigestible.

Of the following 5 secondary ingredients, 3 are by-products and the other two are common allergens.

On top of that, none of the meat sources are named, which means they could be literally anything. And they are preserved with known carcinogens.

Kirkland is owned by Diamond. The ratios of meat to filler are not good, but there's nothing particularly offensive included. It used to be recommended as a decent, cheap food all the time, until Diamond's extensive and poorly managed recalls... So, kinda depends on if you want to put your trust in Diamond or not.

I don't recommend specific brands anymore. I do recommend learning how to read ingredient labels and joining pet food watch blogs so you can stay on top of what you're feeding your dog.

Unfortunately, eating well isn't cheap. If you want a good food, be ready to pay more up front. In the long run, though, you will need to feed less of it and may end up spending much less at the vet's office (see Fox's kibble-induced ear infections). The tricky part is that there are some pretty bad foods out there that are just as expensive as the good ones.

Edited by author Fri Mar 8, '13 10:42am PST

[notify]

Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 4:13am PST 
Blue buffalo is good and I'd say the best choice of the ones you mentioned. I do whatever I can to make sure my pups eat healthy. Unfortunately it costs us around $75 every 3 weeks. Healthy is expensive but I look at it as saving money in the long run.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 4:15am PST 
Blue buffalo is good and I'd say the best choice of the ones you mentioned. I do whatever I can to make sure my pups eat healthy. Unfortunately it costs us around $75 every 3 weeks. Healthy is expensive but I look at it as saving money in the long run.
[notify]