GO!

Siberian Husky Has A Heart Murmer

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lyra

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 9:01am PST 
Hi My 9 Week Old Puppy Has Been For Her 1st Set Of Injections Today But The Vet While Checking Her Over Found She Has A Heart Murmer, He Said They Will Check Her Again At 20 Weeks As She May Grow Out Of It But Thay Isn't Always The Case. I Was Just Wanting To Know If Anyone Elses Puppy Has Had This An What Will They Do If She Doesn't Grow Out Of It Any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated smile
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 9:50am PST 
I have never had a dog with a murmur but I know they can still live long happy lives. I had a cat once with a murmur and all they said really was when he needed to be neutered, they have to keep a bit of a closer eye on him because of his murmur, but all was well.....maybe someone else has had experience with a murmur in a pup that can give you a bit more info.
[notify]
Lyra

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 3:10pm PST 
Thank you for your response! smile he said she may grow out of it but if she is going to she will before 20 weeks of age, he said I could take her back to the breeder but their is no way I'm doing that she is part of my family my kids love her as do I, I'm sure it won't be much dofferent cat to a dpg thank you for your input really assuring x
[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:00pm PST 
Hey no problem at all!! smile And good for you not taking her back to the breeder!
It's like if your baby had a heart murmur or something like that, it's not like you would be like "hmmmm i think i will trade her in for a new one" BOL!!!!
So good call. I have a heart murmur as well, and yea, like I said if she ever needs surgery or anything they will just keep a closer eye on her heart rate and stuff.
Good Luck, and she is sooooo beautiful!! smile
[notify]
Lyra

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:51pm PST 
Awwww bless you, she is beautiful smile and a little sweetheart we have only had her a week an she is so setteld here its like shes always been here, I wouldn't take her back she is like one of my own its just like having a baby again with the night walks in the garden instead of changing nappies big grin lol x

Edited by author Sat Feb 9, '13 4:54pm PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 7:47pm PST 
I know exactly what you mean. When we got our pup Lexus, the first thing we noticed is that her back leg is turned in, so she is pigeon toed.....which may or may not lead to hip problems in the future...there is a higher risk, but I love her just the same and would do anything to keep her healthy and pain free.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:10pm PST 
BTW I wanted to let you know, I read some stuff online today about heart murmurs in dogs. And I guess it's a pretty common for young pups to have them, and most of the time they grow out of it, and when they dont grow out of it it depends on the severity of the murmur, if it is not a severe case then it is basically what I said where they will keep a closer eye on her when she has work done and things like that. If it is more severe, she may be put on heart medication but she will still live a long healthy happy life either way. So I wanted to let you know that. way to go
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 7:49am PST 
You should contact your breeder. If they are legitimate breeders, they will want to know about a health problem in one of their puppies and may help with your vet expenses.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:54pm PST 
I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or not lol but my human mom was born with a heart murmur which closed itself up and has lived a healthy normal life smile I know, Dogs and people, just slightly different lol
[notify]