GO!

My First Husky

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Demon

When I grow up,- I wanna be just- like Dad

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 11:54am PST 
This cute little guy, Demon, is my first Husky. He’s just about to turn 8weeks old and come home with me from the breeder. Before getting him, I did a lot of research on the breed and I do feel that my lifestyle will work really well with him.

I’ve already gotten a crate with an adjustable wall so that I can make it larger as he grows, some chew toys and balls, a leash and collar, the food recommended by the breeder, and I’ve done what I can to puppy-proof my house.

What I'm concerned about is training. I've read that huskies are very intelligent and independently-minded. If anyone has suggestions on housebreaking, crate training, and general obedience training I would really appreciate it. The other dogs that I have owned were all adult rescues and, for the most part, were already trained.

Any other general advice about the breed would also be welcome

Thanks guys!
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 1:39pm PST 
Well first of all Congrats on deciding to adopt a Husky. They are such an amazing breed! Very intelligent, playful and loving!! So I remember a couple of months ago, asking all of the same questions you did. I had my Mika which she was already adult when I adopted her....then a few months later we adopted Lexus, who was 4 months old. And I was worried about all of the same things you are. I have to say though, as long as you keep the pup interested in what your doing and keep your training sessions short and sweet, things will go just fine.
House training- just like any other pup, no different, take him out often and when he pee's out there give lots of praise and a treat. When an accident happens in the house, be careful not to scold, just say in a firm but not angry voice "outside" and carry him outside to finish his business. And if he finishes out there praise....If you dont catch him but see a puddle on the floor, it is to late to do anything besides clean it up, your pup wont remember, so simply clean it and go about your business. Be consistent and he will catch on quickly....I really do believe though that the key is taking them out as often as you possibly can. Also be sure to take him out 15 mins or so after he eats and or drinks. A pup this young will need midnight pee's also. Make sure the crate is a happy place for him. comfy bedding, safe toys etc....any other questions feel free to ask. You will love being a Husky owner. They have such personality and are just so loving! Let us know when you bring him home and how things are going. way to go
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 2:52pm PST 
I agree with the short, sweet, and interesting training sessions. They will work wonders. Also, work earlyon developing a strong recall. Huskies are escape artists and when they get out, they will run. Dreamy is 8 1/2 years old and I still can't trust her off leash anywhere. With house training, a great trick we use is the Bell on the door. Hang a jingle bell or string of them on the doorknob at nose level and ring it every time you take her out to potty. Eventually, she will catch on and stay ringing it on her own. When she does, praise her and immediately take her out. It works wonders and is so simple. smile just curious, what food did the breeder have you put her on? congratulations on your new baby and we'll surely see you around in here.
[notify]

Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 2:53pm PST 
I agree with the short, sweet, and interesting training sessions. They will work wonders. Also, work earlyon developing a strong recall. Huskies are escape artists and when they get out, they will run. Dreamy is 8 1/2 years old and I still can't trust her off leash anywhere. With house training, a great trick we use is the Bell on the door. Hang a jingle bell or string of them on the doorknob at nose level and ring it every time you take her out to potty. Eventually, she will catch on and stay ringing it on her own. When she does, praise her and immediately take her out. It works wonders and is so simple. smile just curious, what food did the breeder have you put her on? congratulations on your new baby and we'll surely see you around in here.
[notify]
Demon

When I grow up,- I wanna be just- like Dad

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 4:15pm PST 
They told us to use Royal Canin Medium Puppy, at first anyways, since that is what he was eating at the breeder's. Any suggestions on what food to switch to later on?

Thanks for the training pointers guys! Great idea with the bell by the way, I wouldn't have thought of that.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 6:26pm PST 
Royal Canine is not the best food...that's for sure. But feeding it to her for the first few days probably is a good idea so not everything in her life is changed all at once. A lot of people will tell you to feed a raw food diet, and if you are interested in that, there is a great raw food forum here you can get some info....but not everybody has time to make raw all of the time. I feel both my dogs Acana Pacifica, but that can be hard to come by in some places. Another good food you can usually find easily is Blue Buffalo. Some people say Orejen also is good, I have never fed it though so I have no info on that. But when you do switch his food over, it is a good idea to kind of mix a bit of the new in with the old food, do this for a few days so the transition isn't hard on his little system.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:23am PST 
The foods Lexus suggested are all great. Definately aim for grain free. If you can't find something you want to feed in a local store, you can order online. I actually just started ordering from wag.com since our Bulldog pup is allergic to pretty much everything and her food is usually sold out in the store. It came overnight with free shipping so its hard to beat. Mine eat Natures Veriety Instinct. We used to feed Taste of the Wild which is decent but we were able to afford better so we switched. Orijen is supposed to be excellent but it's very pricy. Royal Canin is really not great at all but make sure you male the switch slowly, whatever you decide.
[notify]