GO!

husky puppu extreme shedding.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 5:39pm PST 
ok so i have been wanting to get husky for years now but ive always had mastiffs. so this is my first husky. she is almost 5 months old. and i noticed today while i was brushing her that i could pull large clumps of hair right out of her hind end. just her buttocks. i could just reach in and pull a bunch out, but hen i do its so thick that it isnt even noticeable. is it normal for them to shed like this or should i be worried about worms or some sort of disease?
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 9:35pm PST 
Huskies need to be groomed every day. They are indeed extreme shedders, and if they aren't groomed very often yes you will be able pull out clumps of fur. Grooming is very important for numerous reasons because it gives them a healthy coat and gives you a chance to really know your dogs skin. And make sure there are no hot spots etc.....If you are concerned about his health though, you should get him in right away for a check.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 4:18am PST 
Every husky does this, usually twice a year. It's called "blowing their coat". They shed out their protective undercoat. If you brush her daily, it will seem less extreme when this happens. It's perfectly normal though so you don't need to worry smile if you look on dreamy's Page, I have a pic of Dreamy next to a giant pile of fur I brushed off of her lol.
[notify]