GO!

Severe Separation Aniexty Urgent help needed!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Quinn

If you made it I- can destroy it

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:36am PST 
Hey guys I need help! I'm really reaching for ideas here. I got Quinn from a breeder in Iowa at 8 weeks of age. She is the most amazing dog ever and she very dear to me! She is a very chill husky, BUT....

She has been diagnosed with severe kennel anxiety. Today was my breaking point, she broke her 3rd kennel and destroyed a couple hundred dollars worth of items including the carpeting (the apartment is going to kill me!)We ended up having to take her to the vet and induce vomiting. I wanted to run through a list of things I have tried with her and see if anyone has any more suggestions. I have videos of her while she is crated on Youtube that are for the behavioralist but are available if anyone wants them. In short she does circles for hours on end, defecates, pees, digs at the kennel, bends the wire with her mouth, howls and barks. End result is she usually breaks the kennel and bloodies her face and paws. The howling/barking have gotten better. But everytime you put her in the kennel she defecates no matter if you are gone for 10 min or 4 hours. I don't work very much maybe 10 hours a week if that and I am home every 2-3 hours. We go to the dog park just about everyday (right now it is too dangerous to be out in -5 in the AM).

Currently I am trying the thundershirt and weighted backpack while on walks options, and filled kong.

So we have tried leaving her out alone with her barricaded in the walk-in closet (she broke out pooped on things and destroyed the bathroom), barricaded in the walk-in closet with another dog (same result), changing location of the kennel, bigger kennel, movie playing (finding Nemo), lavender candles (all of those above where at the same time and we have four whole days without pooping in the kennel and no damage to the kennel), working with a behavioralist (medications tried acepromazine had opposit effect, chlomicalm. and currently fluxotine (prozac) with a sedative), a soft sided kennel, taking her everywhere we go (she destroyed my truck), leaving her home with the other dogs with a basket muzzle on (ok'ed per the vet) (No, under normal circumstances you should never leave a dog unattended with a muzzle on)obedience training (she is ready for rally and GGC).

Short of needing Ceaser Milan I'm out of ideas and pretty close to finding her a new home. I'm running out of resources!
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:57am PST 
Dreamy was like that when she was a pup. No matter what, she would always poop and/or pee in her crate. Then we started leaving her in a bedroom, she'd destroy it. Eventually we just started leaving her have the run of the house. For a while, we would come home to destroyed things, poop on the steps, and pee in the dining room. It was rough and my husband complained many times that she may have to go. I'm not sure exactly what happened but slowly the problems got less and less. She got praised like crazy if we came home and everything was good. I wish I could be more help. I don't know if it's just age that calmed her or maybe having someone else to play with and keep her entertained while we were out (she hasn't had a single incident since we've had sparkles).
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:49pm PST 
OMG, I actually just posted something about crate training and needing advice on it. My 6 month old husky pup has been left in our bedroom since we got her and has always been fine, and then the other day we left for 2 hrs and came home to our bedroom DESTROYED!!!! I am sorry I can't be of more help, I only hope Lexus doesn't go crazy in her crate.......(just purchased today)
I wish you the best of luck though and hope it all works out
[notify]