GO!

surrendering to the crate

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 4:05pm PST 
Well............I have had Lexus for about a month to a month and a half now, and intended on getting a crate but after several times of leaving the house I contain her in our bedroom where she also sleeps at night, and she was fine so I continued this......no issues.....no issues........no issues.........
well, today was the first, we came home after being gone only 2 hrs, and sure enough our whole bedroom was tore apart!!! somehow she even managed to get thing from the top of my dresser.....clothing jewelry box etc......so needless to say I am now worried about further damage and am thinking on getting a crate this week. I have never crate trained however I know the basics, comfy bedding toys nyla bone etc....and leaving her crate door open so it is available to her and make it a happy place for her. But if anyone has any other advice on crates I would love to hear it. I am worried it may be harder for her now that she is not a young young pup anymore??
Thanks in advance smile
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:51pm PST 
We bought the crate today, and it's a good thing to.....and quite ironic because while we were out getting the crate....came home.....and yep....bedroom destroyed again, so weird that she was fine for over a month and then started this. thinking
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:23am PST 
Good luck and let us know how it works out. Remember to make it a good thing to be in the crate. Reward her for going in willingly and maybe leave her a stuffed kong in with her. You definately want the crate to be associated with good things smile wish I had known that when I got Dreamy...
[notify]

Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:11pm PST 
Teeko is a stray I took in a couple of weeks ago (was chipped, not going back to prior owner). I was able to round up a crate, and while there has been a little whininess going in at night, it seems to have helped to kind of soothingly "shhhh, lay down" and wait until he's down before going to bed myself. If he's still standing when I leave the room, he doesn't settle down so fast. He's gotten the routine pretty quick, knowing he gets fed in there and a nightly treat that only comes out at bedtime. This is with two other dogs who are not crated at night - One rescue who was crated at first but has proven trustworthy in time, the other never was that we know of, but he was well trained when adopted from the pound.
[notify]
Teeko

I like big mud- and I cannot lie

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:55am PST 
Of course, as soon as I brag on Teeko settling right into the crated at night routine, he paces and whines half the night. His stomach may have been a little upset though, so I'm crossing my fingers that's all it was.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 1:30pm PST 
O.k thanks Teeko.
and BOL, figures eh!!
She has done pretty good the couple times I have had her in it, thank goodness.
She gets the roam of my bedroom at night though when I am in there as she just sleeps all night and has been good that way so far, but when we leave it is another story!!
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 1:30pm PST 
Thank you to Dreamy also. smile
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:23pm PST 
Teeko - try it the other way around. Linger and give treats when he's already settled in the crate, ignore him when he's stressing. Otherwise he may learn that when he settles down, you get up and go to bed.

Ember needed a lot of tough love when it came to crates. I did a lot of waiting for screaming to stop, then rushing to let her out or throw treats on her. She loves her crate now - she usually sleeps in there voluntarily.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 3:22pm PST 
Well she is doing pretty good with her crate training, I thank everyone for their info. She whines a bit and stuff, but stops after not to long. Actually going a lot better then I thought it would. way to go
[notify]