GO!

Best Food For My Siberian Husky Puppy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 4:05am PST 
Hi I Am Getting My Husky Puppy In A Week She Will Be 8 Weeks Old, The Breeders Feed Her A Supermarket Brand, bBut I Have Decided To Feed Her Royal Canine As All The Research I Have Done Says A Better Quality Food Will Do My Pup Well. So I Went To Buy The Food An The Lady Said The Large Breed Food Will Be Right For My Puppy But My Research Shows Siberian Huskies Are A Medium Breed! Should I Swap Or Is The Lady Right On Advising Me To Use The Large Breed Food? Also Which Treats Could I Use For My Puppy All Of Them Say You Can't Give The To Puppies Under 4 Months! I'm In The UK. Thanks In Advance For Any Info
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 7:04am PST 
Well I am not going to harp on you about your food choice because that is not what you asked, but Royal canine is not that good of a food either, but I am sure it is better then the supermarket brand you were referring to.
Huskies are considered a Medium breed dog, but then apparently the standards of what a large breed is, is over about $50 lbs which a lot of Huskies get to be. Especially males.
Personally I think you are fine with a medium breed food. Maybe someone else can help with this that knows a bit more about this. I feed Blue Buffalo to my Sibes and they are doing wonderful on it.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:52am PST 
I don't think you need a large breed food at all. We never used one. I recommend a gain free food. Taste of the wild is a pretty good one and isn't all that expensive. If price isn't an issue, maybe go for nature's veriety instinct or something like that. But definitely not a grocery store brand. Some good web sites to check out are www.dogfoodadvisor.com and http://www.dogfoodcomparison.org/dog-food-scores.html. good luck and let us know what you decide smile
[notify]

Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:53am PST 
I don't think you need a large breed food at all. We never used one. I recommend a gain free food. Taste of the wild is a pretty good one and isn't all that expensive. If price isn't an issue, maybe go for nature's veriety instinct or something like that. But definitely not a grocery store brand. Some good web sites to check out are www.dogfoodadvisor.com and http://www.dogfoodcomparison.org/dog-food-scores.html. good luck and let us know what you decide smile
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:05am PST 
Hi thanks for the replies smile I was going to put my pup on Orijen but been in the uk their is only so many places it is sold. The largest size they sell is 13.5kg do any of you know how long this size will last? As I am wanting to order it every month to my address just unsure how long that size bag lasts. This is the reason I was just going to put her on a food I know I can get hold of easily each week. I've done lots of research I have heard what is good for my puppy blue buffalo, orijen but these aren't easy to get hold of in the uk unlike royal canin plus a lot of other people have had their pups on royal canin with no problems.But obviously I want the best for my puppy so if you have any idea how long a 13.5kg bag would last I would be gratefull for you to say or if you know how much of the food to order for the month thanks in advance
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:27am PST 
I'm not sure but one good way to find out would be to buy 2 bags so you can see how long one lasts and not have to worry about running out. I've heard that's a good food but never tried it. Definitely try to stay away from royal canin. It's not a great food.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:48am PST 
All dogs are different but Huskies definitely eat less then other breeds. A 13.6kg bag usually last my adult Husky about a month, but as Dreamy said it is best to buy 2 bags if you are unsure and can't get them easily.
[notify]