GO!

Peeing issues

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Alma

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 7:42pm PST 
Alma is now a year old, she knows that we need to go on walks or be let out to pee, etc, here's the problem she will drink water than randomly walk and pee!!!! What can I do, she's ruining my new floors!!! Willing to try mostly anything with in reason of course!! Please help
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:48am PST 
Is this something new? If so a vet visit is in order, it could be a UTI or some other medical problem. Does she seem to know she is peeing? if not, again a vet visit should help.

If medical is ruled out, restart house training like you would with a new puppy. Any dog that pees inside, if medical is ruled out, isn't fully house trained.

Once you see your vet, if this is still a problem, post in the training area for tips on house training your dog.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:32am PST 
Vet check. Most commonly this would be a UTI, but there are other issues that can affect kidney function as well. Have her checked out and go from there.

Was she spayed recently? Some girls will get some degree of incontinence after a spay. Ember had a hard time holding it at all for about a month after her spay.

The other time I've seen this happen is when dogs drink compulsively. Usually they are either stressed or bored, and they pick up drinking as a displacement behavior. I have met dogs who seem to be lacking the ability to tell if they are thirsty or not, too. Typically these dogs come from bad backgrounds (one was a parvo survivor at 5 weeks old, for example), or were raised without free access to water.

These dogs end up so full of water it just passes through them uncontrollably. It still warrants a full medical check, specifically with bloodwork. If nothing turns up, then you have to approach it behaviorally.

Edited by author Fri Jan 18, '13 7:39am PST

[notify]