GO!

sore paws in snow

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 7:58am PST 
Does anybody else have Huskies that get sore paws in the winter?
I thought somthing was wrong with Mika's paw at first because after playing outside she started to limp but I looked at her paw and it was fine.....So again out for play but this time a different paw....she limped again, and then the next day my Husky pup started limping while playing outside.....then the next paw the following time? I dont know if maybe they are getting snow in between their toes and it starts to hurt or what but......snow dogs....sore paws? weird ! Anyone else ever have this problem? thinking
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 11:20pm PST 
maybe mika's and lexus's paws are numb from the snow and that is why they are limping. Sorry I can't come up with the best answer because it doesn't snow where i'm at except for the mountains. Usually for the dogs that run the iditarod they have booties to keep their paws from becoming numb.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:10am PST 
No snow? Man my dogs would be lost BOL!!! eek
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:33am PST 
They could be cut not on their pads, but down in between their toes. Even just a hairline slice, like a paper cut, can be painful.

Also if there is a lot of fur between their toes, it can cause ice to ball up and stick there. Trimming it back a bit helps, but you have to be super, super careful not to cut them - or to go too short.

Dog sled booties don't really keep their feet warm, they keep them covered so they don't get cut or balled up with ice. If you need boots for warmth and/or traction, I recommend Ruff Wear's Polar Trex.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 8:33am PST

[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 10:06am PST 
Awesome Ember thank you very much, I may have to look into the boots because when I walk them which is a lot, they always jump in the snowbanks and roll around and stuff, so it would make sense that there may be a cut in between their toes. I tried looking but there is a lot of fur in between there and can't see much. I will trim it so the snow doesnt get stuck in there. And also so I cn get a better look. They seem to be fine today so far and it is only once and a while, so I think booties would work great for walks etc...not sure if they will like the idea but we will see! smile
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 7:52pm PST 
Well I live in las vegas, nv. It doesn't get cold enough to snow here. The only place we get snow is on the mountains.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 6:18am PST 
Oh nice! I'm in Canada so we get tons of snow in the winter. It has actually been one of the worst winters for snow then it has been in a long time. My dogs love it of course but the snow banks are like 15 ft high almost and our car has been plowed in by the plow a lot this year, so it's a pain for us but nice to see the dogs out running and jumping in the banks and stuff. When I am out there playing with them I keep thinking that will be lost when it all melts!!
[notify]