GO!

Huskies Information

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 7:35am PST 
Hi am getting my Siberian Husky In a few weeks time but I'm trying to get the most information about the dog and what is best for it, I was wondering where I should let my new dog sleep, I was planning on getting a crate an sleeping downstairs so the puppy doesn't feel alone in the first week I can't leave the pup to roam the the full house as I have 3 children so it would have to be the bottom floor! Is this ok? And I've heard they are very clever an that they can open doors so I'm thinkin of getting locks on the doors an then people have also said they will chew thru wooden doors ect is this true? I was also wondering how they are with toddlers I have an 18 month old little girl my youngest, will she be safe playing around the dog as it grows I will obviously not leave any children alone with the dog EVER! I was thinking of getting the doggy safety gates the higher ones would they be any good? Or would the dog jump over it? Thanks in advance for any comments.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:41am PST 
Thank you for trying to get all the info you can, some people just dont and then end up taking these dogs to shelters cause the breed was not for them.
O.K so I will answer what I can and maybe others can help me with this.
*kids* Huskies are knows to be great family pets and they usually love children, but as with every breed you need to monitor things, as you said it is not safe to leave a toddler around any dog alone...also as much as you train your pup around kids you have to train you kids for the pup ie: no tail pulling ear grabbing etc...dont let the kids terrorize the dog. I have 2 kids and my youngest is 2 years old and I had to put a lot of effort into making sure she wasn't bugging the dog all the time, but the dog loves her, now we have a new pup so 2 huskies now and the family is getting along great. Monitoring is the key.
*dog gates* this will work while your pup is a pup, but yes Huskies are incredible jumpers and once they learn they can jump whats in their way, they will jump. Unless a lot of teaching goes into not jumping that gate but it can and probably will happen. As for chewing through doors etc. I have not had that problem but all I know is try your best to make sure your Husky is exercised PLENTY and that can take away destructive behavior. If they are left behind a door for hours and hours and hours, yea they will probably make their way through...maybe someone else has a better experience in that then myself.
Main thing would be make sure you will have the time for a Husky pup, a fenced back yard is best....and a high fence at that, also they are known to dig under your fence as well. However I have no fence but a big yard with a long lead and we go for daily walks and I take her to the dog park often to run and she seems plenty exercised. Next would be grooming, they do need a lot of grooming, almost every day the Husky fur I pick up would be equal to a small Maltese dog BOL laugh out loud
True story!!! They love attention and love to be loved. I dont use a crate yet for sleeping but I know everybody swears by them, I just dont have one yet so I have the pup in my room in her bed on the floor with a baby gate across my door, and she is doing fine (puppy proofed my room though) and I always make sure she has her chew ropes etc through the night if she feels like chewing. So again Huskies are excellent family pets but need the time from you to put in them. And plenty of exercise. Watch your kids around your pup and things should be fine. Hope this helped a bit. Good Luck! And do let us know if you get the pup. way to go
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 10:01pm PST 
A puppy should not have unsupervised access to anything. Crating at night is best, as well as when you are out of the house or just generally can't pay attention to the puppy. This is how you potty train and prevent destructive behaviors like chewing, as well as begin to teach your puppy how to be alone.

Jumping gates, chewing through doors and opening doors are common within the breed. This is a working dog that is not amused by mundane games like fetch. They need mental and physical stimulation EVERY DAY, and if they don't get it, they'll find some of their own. If that means chewing through your basement door, jumping the baby gate in the hall and opening your closet to eat your $300 leather shoes, so be it.

For the most part, if you provide appropriate outlets, this is typically a non-issue. There are some individuals who are just incredibly strong-willed and mischievous, but they are not the norm. The other side of this is, as mentioned with crating, teaching them about being alone and impulse control. If they don't know how to be alone; If they think they get everything they want when they want it - of course they're going to act out. Who wouldn't?

For reference, Fox has jumped caution tape strung about 4 feet high just for fun. We were walking, she noticed it, and she ran over and jumped it. Ember is equally capable, but prefers to go through (failing that, under) things. Yet I can lean a cheap-o Walmart baby gate against a door frame, and they will both respect it. That's the work I've done with them.

As to kids... I don't generally recommend them as "kid friendly." Every breed can be good with kids, and every breed has it's "thing." Huskies are mouthy. They play rough, they are over-dramatic about being touched, and they tend to resource guard. Most that I have met like children on a conditional basis - if the child is respectful, they enjoy their company as with any human. If the child is pushy, they are tolerant at best and prefer to leave. So yeah, you can make it work. It really depends on your children and how much work you're willing to put into the relationship - In general, Huskies are more work than most people want.

FWIW, I would caution anyone with a human toddler against getting a puppy. A puppy means you're bringing another baby home. It's another species, but it requires just as much attention for up to 2 1/2 years (and that's just for emotional/behavioral maturity - with Huskies, the energy level doesn't start to drop until around 5 years). People decide to do it, and many are happy they did, but many more are miserable until the dog is mature and many others give the dog up before it's a year old. It's a HUGE deal, and you have to be sure you're up for it.

You're right that research is imperative, and this topic means you're on the right track... But to be frank, based on the questions you have asked, you have not done enough to be bringing home a Husky in a few weeks. From your post, it sounds like you decided you wanted a Husky, found one and are now researching them, when it should be the other way around. Think about your needs and what you want in a dog, then start looking at what different age groups and breeds have to offer. You can make anything work, but you'll be a whole lot happier if you find a round peg for a round hole, than if you grab the first peg that catches your interest and work on making it fit.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 11:39pm PST 
Hi thank you both for your advice, I have been looking into getting a dog for over a year now it was always between a German Shepard or a Siberian Husky I chose a Husky because of its temperament an how its generally suppose to do well with children or so the research I've done shows, I know of the exercise needs and I am willing to put the effort in, I did NOT choose the puppy before doing research as my friend is a breeder of the husky and could of had a puppy from the litter last year but I wasn't sure about which dog would suit my household and my family between the above 2 so I decided against an did the research. I just wanted to get peoples experiences with the breed as some of what it says on the internet really makes the breed sound bad like the fact it is on the dangerous dogs list and people have called it the devil dog so I'd much rather go on real peoples experiences than that. My Friend has given me a lot of useful information I wanted to gather as much info as possible before I choose a pup which has only just been born last week so won't be ready for a number of weeks yet still. smile.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 4:07am PST 
I may be an exception, but with no special training I stay behind gates or whatever is in my way. I will scratch on the door and wine, but that is all.

I was once on a bike ride and got surrounded by screaming 7 year olds all yelling "snow dog" they all hugged me at the same time. My person almost had a heart attack, but I was fine, kinda liked it actually.

I do have dog friends to keep me company and I would probably be less well behaved if I didn't get to be with my people a lot. I am death on cats but okay with small dogs.

My person wouldn't hesitate to have me around children. The worst I would do is make an offended sound, jump up, and leave.

My person prefers to let puppies sleep with her, but if not I would go for a crate in the bedroom. If the puppy is lonely, dangle you hand near the crate.

Good Luck with your new puppy.

Oh, I should mention I am a rescue, not well bred and beyond walking on a leash, have no special training.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 6:00am PST 
I'm not sure where you read that they are the devil dog???? I have never heard that before, but some stuff you read online is bogus, I would not in any way say that about a Husky. Look up on You Tube siberian Husky 101 , they have a great video about them. A lot of people are intimidated by their look as they do resemble a wolf, but out of all the stuff you read about them 9 times out of 10 is all good stuff, with any breed there will be stories of stuff due to the dogs not being socialized and or treated badly.....Huskies are wonderful dogs and wonderful pets. You just need to give them your love and time....again I applaud you for doing your research, good luck with everything.
And Fritz.....wow good for you on not jumping things, Mika jumps baby gates like a horse jumps those fences BOL but the pup wont.....it's funny though because when we first got Mika she wouldn't jump them for the longest time but one day she did and then realized her that was easy and jumps them alllllllll the time!!!!
[notify]
Jubilee

Littlest Lee- Lee

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 8:55am PST 
I've only had one husky, Jubee, but I can tell you what she was like as a pup. She was totally attached to the group, and she likes the group all together, not split up. She never liked being left alone. She is still this way as an adult. One time when she was a puppy, I left her alone in the house in my bedroom, thinking she would do the least amount of damage in one room. When I came home she had chewed 6 inches off the bottom of a hollow bedroom door. I never did that again! She has always loved and been delighted by children, almost like they are kin. There's a couple things I would've done differently. I would've kept her on healthy diet, because she's overweight now. I would've socialized her better with other dogs, because she has never gotten along with dogs. I would've trained her to "come" because she can't be trusted to come back to me. Boy, I didn't do too good, did I????
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 8:56am PST 
Dont beat yourself up i'm sure she is a wonderful pup!! And it is never to late to train if you feel you should. Also even when they are older it is good to keep up with the training to keep it fresh in their minds.!!! wave
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 10:52am PST 
Siberian husky summery:
Free thinking
Escape artist
Intelligent
Stubborn
Good jumpers
Good diggers lol
Strong prey drive (cats and small animals beware)
FAST (and durable) runners
Howl, dont bark
Not afraid to talk back
Amazing companions
Hard workers
Best friends smile
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 11:19am PST 
Well put Dreamy!!! applause
[notify]