GO!

Neutering Question!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Koda

Born to run -- loves to sleep

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 7:14pm PST 
Hi, I've got a male Siberian Husky that's been marking in the house. His previous owner says he's neutered but I'm not sure. Does anyone know how to check without taking him to a vet?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:27am PST 
smileCheck under his tail and see if he has balls (testicles). Neutered dogs do still mark, I had to use a belly band on Fritz for a while and he loves to mark all over the yard.

I suppose it is possible for him to have a retained testicle, I'm not sure how you would check for that, but it would be important to find out since they can cause health problems.
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:07am PST 
No, he doesn't have balls. Do belly bands work? Does it teach them not to do that in the house or just prevent them from doing it?
[notify]

Fritz

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:29pm PST 
I used a belly band with a pad in it. It did keep him from making puddles but it didn't stop him from marking.( big laugh The look on his face the first time he marked and nothing hit what he was aiming at was priceless)

I finally had to go back to basic house training, tether him whenever he was in the house, and praise like mad when he did his business outside. I also said, "no bad dog" when he tried to mark. This isn't something I would ever do to a puppy but Fritz had mislaid or forget his house training and knew what "bad dog" meant. ( I never hit him or yelled, just let him know that marking wasn't good)

After a few weeks he remembered his house training and the belly band went away. It did keep wet spots off of the floor while being used.
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 6:44pm PST 
Hmm... He doesn't go to the bathroom in the house, he only marks. And, because he's already gotten in trouble for it several times, I think he's being careful not to mark when someone's around. I've been peeking around the corner trying to catch him doing it whenever he's in the room alone. Nothing yet... I hope he stops because we can't have a dog that marks everywhere... I think I'll try the ice-cubes after 6 thing. That way he can't get too much water before bed. Not sure if this will help but we can try.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 7:41pm PST 
Give the belly band a try when he is loose in the house. Keep him tethered or crated when you can't watch him. He can learn not to mark, it is just another stage of house training.

It sounds like he has learned not to mark when being watched, he needs to learn not to mark in the house instead. Go back to your basic house training, praise every time he marks or goes outside. That is how I taught Fritz not to mark in the house.
[notify]