GO!

Help! I'm fat!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 47)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:16pm PST 
When Vance was too sick to walk, I used to take him and Ember out separately. Vance and I would barely leave the yard. We'd wander slowly, he'd sniff and pee on things, sometimes he'd just lay in the grass for a while. Then I'd swap and go racing around the neighborhood with Ember. Neither needed to know what the other did, really they were both happier with their separate routines, and we all enjoyed the one-on-one time.

I almost always give treats out of treat-dispensing toys. I'm pretty sure Ember actually burns more calories chewing on her football for 2 hours, or chasing her ball around than she's getting from a few little pieces of dried liver.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:48am PST 
Update time! We had to take a few weeks off due to Rocky recovering and winter throwing all kinds of snow at us but we're back at it and have been walking every day for the past two weeks. I just did a weigh in on Dreamy and though she's at 60lbs now, I really think it's muscle weight instead of fat. I did make the switch to a better food and now we're on a rotation between nature's variety instinct (salmon) and wellness core (ocean). Dreamy gets roughly 1/2 cup twice a day. We ran out of glucosamine a while ago but she hasn't needed it anymore. I really think her hips are being supported better by stronger muscles now. My mom made a comment the other day when she was over that she thought Dreamy had a lump, but it was just her muscles that have been developing near her hips. On our walks (always a 1 1/2 miles), she rarely slows down and wants to run after every bird, squirrel, and blowing leaf she sees. She even wants to play in the evenings now too.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 3:02pm PST 
That is so good to hear Dreamy!!! Congrats on the new and improved energy!! BOL
Good job, and you and your mama keep up the good work, and hope Rocky is doing well now smile
[notify]

Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 3:59am PST 
Thanks Mika smile Rocky has made a full recovery and has also gained some extra energy now since the food change. You can't even tell anything happened to him. You can't see a single scar smile I'd say all the fur kids are the healthiest they've ever been and I even managed to lose a few pounds too. Hopefully we can keep this up and all keep each other in shape. I need to get back to bikini size before the bikini weather gets here lol
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 7:10am PST 
smile lol no kidding eh!!! Glad to hear things are going well for you guys!
[notify]
Riddick

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 9:09am PST 
HI
I see that this is an older post but hopefully I will get some input. My husky seems to be a little over weight and I was goggling around trying to find some weight loss suggestions. My husky is about 8 and I worry about taking him for walks since it is so hot out, even in the evening it is still rather hot. He seems to take a long time to recover and breath normally. Sometimes he seems to breath heavy for no reason. Anyway, he is also eating Taste of the Wild, High Prairie...maybe that has contributed to the weight gain. He is on his third bag of it. He is not a big dog food eater, he will eat it but unlike the other 2 I have (who gobble it up as soon as i set it in front of them) he will pick at it or eat it in his own time. I tried a few different wellness types and they all gave him horrible gas and his stomach would make bubbly sounds. Any thoughts on the Taste of the Wild contribution to weight gain? I feed him a bit less than recommended on the bag already. I was hesitant to buy it since it was not for senor less active dogs. Any new brand suggestions? Any thoughts on the heavy breathing?

Thanks!!
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 10:03am PST 
Hi Riddick! Dreamy is 9 years old today so they're pretty close in age. Honestly, I wouldn't blame the foods. I give Dreamy roughly 1/2 cup twice a day (taste of the wild high Prarie) with almost a tsp of organic coconut oil every time. We rarely get out for walks anymore though I'm hoping to change that now that we're pretty much settled in. I'm happy to say that she is now down to about 53lbs (Down from roughly 65). Her energy has skyrocketed and she had regained her ability to jump. Not sure if that's s good thing or not since I realized she was jumping the baby gate to munch on kitty litter. She used to not be a big eater or take much interest in food, even when i first started cutting her back but lately her interest in it has gone up. Probably because her increased metabolism. Based on your pups size, if you want him down to about 55lbs or so, I'd try 1/2 cup twice a day. It takes a while but will slowly come off. Remember, siberians use calories much more efficiently than other breeds so they don't need anywhere near as much. Good luck and keep us posted!
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 47)  
1  2  3  4  5