GO!

Off Leash

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lexi

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 9:11am PST 
I am sure like all Husky owners my one wish is that I can train Lexi to be off leash. I am about to take obedience classes with a trainer who assures me that they will be able to off lead train her and will continue my training (for free) until my goal is reached... When i heard that I just kind of laughed thinking that I am going to be in classes forever. So my question is, how many of you have successfully off leash trained your dog (like while on a walk they will stick around...)?
[notify]
☆ Nikaya ☆

&hearts Husky- Love &hearts

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 2:12pm PST 
No success here. I am definitely not an off leash Sibe. I like to run as fast and as far away as possible. I LOVE freedom. My mommy has heard stories of people training us Sibes to walk off leash. She says it's not too responsible, in her opinion. It's just taking too much of a risk with our lives. If we get out, we may get picked up, ran over, or shipped off to the nearest shelter. cry But, Lexi would have to have really good recall if you want to successfully train her off leash.
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 2:18pm PST 
Yeah, I am doing it mostly for the training but if they can come through with the off leash obviously I would be ecstatic. Where I live/work there is no real worry about cars/roads or anything of that matter it is more just sticking around (there is literally one dirt road in and 2 work trucks and maybe one golf cart).
[notify]

☆ Nikaya ☆

&hearts Husky- Love &hearts

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 6:18pm PST 
That's awesome, Lexi! I hope you behave yourself for your family. It would be to your advantage to learn to behave off leash. I wish I had it in me. red face It's just not in my blood. We live next door to a horse farm, which would be very unfortunate if I got lose. Although, I have a couple of times and even played tag with the horse. And, we, too, live out in the country. We live on a dirt road and there are a couple of farms surrounding us. Well, I hope everything works out and I think you can do it if you really put your mind to it. But, it will take A LOT of work and patience. Let us know how it goes...

Woof! Woof!

Nikaya big grin
[notify]
~Seaak~Misse- d- 11/16/02-9/2- 5/09

In the land of- the angels

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 9:04am PST 
I've gotten Seaak to be outside without a leash quite a few times but then getting to busy to spend the proper time to continue the training... But she has succesfully lied down in the snow as I went in to get my camera and didnt budge...
[notify]
Jesse

Jesse - Trouble with a- capital J

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 2:11am PST 
We have an electric shock collar for Jesse and with it on she is very well behaved and is very good at sticking around and answering commands. I still don't trust her 100% with it on, but it is worth thinking about
[notify]
Elektra

**Makes my world- complete**

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 8:35am PST 
Elektra is pretty trustworthy in enclosed areas. I wouldnt let her off anywhere near a road as if a dog was on the other side she would most definately run over to say hi.
I would feel mean not to let such an energetic dog have a good run. We take her to the nature reserve mostly where she has great fun and wont wander far from us.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 2:25pm PST 
My main concern with Vance is that he'd get into trouble before I could really polish his training. No matter what you do leading up to going off leash, in a dog's mind it is a different scenerio and the rules may not apply. If it weren't such a big deal, I think I could let him off and just keep doing it until it was commonplace (therefore boring) and then he'd behave perfectly. It's getting there that isn't safe.
[notify]
CARBON

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 10:18am PST 
It took me 2 years to 'train' Carbon to stay with me and follow commands (Unless she heard a gopher -or another critter!) She decided herself to Trust me to tell her when to stop and when to run. People with huskies were facinated to watch us. She seemed to have limited depth perception- which gave me a training edge. Find a completley safe off leash area and practice with very simple consistant commands- and the bribery of course!
[notify]
Bunny

Wanna Play?!

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 1:34pm PST 
This has been an ongoing challenge for Bunny because she loves to take off when she sees another dog. She was doing really well until first snow and then relapsed because she didn't want to ever go back inside. Now she comes when called to go back inside about 95% of the time. I only let her loose in large fields that are away from traffic because she doesn't understand that cars are bad.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3