GO!

HELP! Picky Eater Shih Tzu!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Yuki

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:54am PST 
My Shih Tzu, Yuki, just turned a year old last March 25. When he was about 9 months old, he eats normally (dry dog food) until my mom started to give him bread. Yuki, now, rarely eats rather refuses to eat his dog food. I really don't know what to do. I think he has gotten a bit tinier than he was before when he was still used to the dog food. I'm afraid he is not getting the nutrients he needs with the bread. We sometimes refuse to feed him bread but because we can't attain to see him sad, we give him anyway.

I need help. How can I make him get back to his normal eating habits? cry
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:21am PST 
No-o-o!! Bread will definitely NOT provide the appropriate nutrients for your dog!! I faced a similar problem with my Shih Tzu. Once she discovered "people food," she rejected her dog food. She would very stubbornly go DAYS without eating if I only gave her dog food. That worried me, so I just relented and began cooking for her. I season and broil chicken or ground beef, cut it up in tiny pieces and sneak a sprinkle of dry dog food on top. Periodically, she also enjoys snacks of baby carrots, apples, tomatoes, melon or strawberries, all cut up into bite-sized pieces. It took a while to learn her preferences, and a chat with her vet about what foods are okay for dogs and the few that are truly bad. If you're willing to go to all this trouble (and it IS trouble), you should end up with a happy, healthy dog, just like me.
[notify]
Jessie

Love playing- with ozzy and- charlie!

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 9:35pm PST 
ive had the same problem! Jessie wouldnt eat her dry dog food im not kidding but had so many food changes recently since i bought her! she came with eukanuba which she hated, then i tried purina tux liked for few days then nope, then i tried spca puppy food liked for awhile then changed mind, then tried optimum, optimum with my dog puppy food, as well as my dog chicken supreme and also with tasti dinner dog roll no sucess. Then after finding dandruff in ears and her coat really dry went onto royal canin mini junior which she was so stubborn about eating finally got there with adding hot water but sometimes up to 3 days with no food, then royal canin neutered small dog under 10kg which she likes. Now vet given free bag of nutro natural and i have to say i prefer it to what she is on so prob go on that long term as so much cheaper and ingredients are so good!

Persist with the same food if she is hungry your dog will eat
[notify]