GO!

Full-time Job and Puppy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kimiko

Star Fight- Princess

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:07am PST 
I was recently offered a full-time job (yesterday), and my husband already works full-time, and we're getting Kimiko today. For all of you full-time workers, do you have any advice for us as to what to do with a 9 week old Shiba Inu? I've heard that really you shouldn't leave your puppy in a kennel for more than 3 hours (take puppy's age plus one), and if you're gone for a long period of time that you should gate a certain area of your house off and let them stay in there while you're gone with pee pads. Who does doggy daycare? Anyone do pet sitters etc? Do you trust anyone to take your puppy out during the day?

My problem; I don't trust anyone.
[notify]
Saki

I'm a licker,- not a biter!

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 11:37am PST 
Shiba puppy's are a handful!!! They must be potty trained properly if not you could be in big trouble! We would take Saki out every two to three hours when little. It's also VERY important to socialize them with people and other dogs, so they don't become dog aggressive when older. Family members????
[notify]
Sencha

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 1:21pm PST 
I can definitely relate; I only trust my parents or sisters to watch Sencha when I'm away. I work full time and when I got Sencha as a puppy, was even living alone. I would leave her in the crate during the day and then come let her out at lunch (gave her almost an hour of free time, but I live 5 minutes away and get a long lunch break.. was very lucky in that sense). She was only in there for around 4 hours at a time. When I got home for the day I was always sure to give her LOTS of play time, took her on nice walks, etc, and it went well.

Edited by author Fri Jan 25, '13 1:22pm PST

[notify]

Toshiro

Play with me?

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 10:04am PST 
I'd say every minute you spend between 8 & 20 weeks will save you an hour later.

I also have a hard time trusting other people, not just out of theft or negligence but the world is a dangerous place to a 9 week old pup. From other dogs (like mine) that don't like puppies to diseases there are an awful lot of hazards.

You can consider creative solutions; the Mrs can take him to work and people are sometimes surprised how accommodating workplaces can be. Everybody loves a puppy right? Or perhaps you have friends who can help?

Otherwise you need to evaluate your priorities.
[notify]