GO!

Birdie's Dental Dilemma

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Birdie

Dammit!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 6:50pm PST 
Recently Birdie, soon to be 12 years-old went to the vet for what we were pretty sure was an abscessed tooth. When she left later in the day she was 9 teeth lighter. Birdie was the victim of owners who let her down and didn't spend as much time as we should have with in-home brushing and enough cleanings. I am ashamed to have to admit this, but I hope anyone reading this who hasn't given the attention to their pet's teeth needed will think again. We love Birdie very much and it was tough to hear what was going to need to be done, but not nearly as devastated as she must have been for several months. A few weeks ago we noticed swelling under her eye and figured the tooth we were told in the summer didn't look too good was flaring up. After all that was pulled/cut out on Wednesday, she is already more vibrant than she has been in some time - she doesn't stink anymore (what we thought was a smelly coat due to an aging dog was actually rotting teeth). For at least a month or so (probably the rest of her life) she will be relegated to a soft food diet.

I am sure if I don't get some nasty follow-up comments, my ears will be burning. My wife and I made a poor series of decisions over the years and unfortunately our beloved pet has paid the price (and so has our bank account to the tune of $965), but if one pet owner reading this saves their friend from months of agonizing pain, any criticism we receive will be worth it.
[notify]