GO!

Free feeding or scheduled feeding?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Goji

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 4:24pm PST 
I have two shibas on 1.5yrs on .5yrs. I have been free feeding the older shiba because she only eats when she is hungry. However, the new shiba seems to eat all of the time. He does not look fat, but he is definitely more stout than my other shiba. I would switch them both to scheduled feedings but my older dog does not do well with that. Does anyone else out there free feed a shiba that seems to eat all the time? Do shibas get fat?
[notify]
Yoshihiko

PAARRTY~!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:39pm PST 
When Yosh was a baby i free fed.. Yoshi wasn't all that enthusiastic about his meals.. noshed.. whenever.. whatever...

Then i got Hana... i put them on a twice a day schedule..

Suddenly Yoshi became very excited about dinner time and i've had no problems.

I'd say, try it.. stick to it for a couple of months...

if she doesn't eat when she's supposed to, pick food up. i know that sounds mean but she'll get the idea, i promise!cheer
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:08pm PST 
Do shibas get fat?
Yes shiba do get fat..

Some are good at self regulating and eating what they need some over eat.

I prefer schedule feeding plus feeding raw no way I would free feed..

It would be hard to free feed one dog and schedule the next.. Maybe try it and keep at it maybe older shiba get the hang of it.
[notify]

Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 4:25am PST 
Shibas do get fat and it is terrible for their health and their joints. They both be put on a schedule. My shiba is 6 years old and she only eats once a day. They will learn to eat when the food is available. You might have to deal with some whining and manipulation, but if you stay strong and consistent, they will get the message. Good luck!
[notify]
Sencha

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:32am PST 
Sencha free feeds. I tried to have scheduled feeding when she was a puppy, and it never really worked for her. She is very good at eating only when she is hungry. No weight issues or anything. I think it really depends on the dog.

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '13 10:32am PST

[notify]