GO!

White Shiba Inus

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:45pm PST 
hi I have a 11 year old shiba inu Nico . He has had pretty good health over his lifetime with one bout with cancer. I read in a post here that the white shiba's have health problems, most all dogs get some form of cancer , does not matter the bread the color or mixed bread.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 9:04pm PST 
I don't know if cream shiba inu are more prone to health issues.. I think they all probably have same chance for it. Depends if the breeder is doing proper health testings and breeding healthy dogs.

I know of a few good breeders where a cream shiba pops up every no again, but they don't breed cream shiba inu, but make sure they go in great pet homes. smile

I know someone with a white dog who has skin issues, but the dog isn't a shiba and it could be environmental as siblings don't have this issue.

White boxers are prone to being deaf I think. bella can hear noise fine..

My last white boxer lived to age 13 heard things fine.

Bella our current white boxer has some environmental allergies and her skin is sensitive to high grass. Coarse she loves to run in high grass which coarse causes her to get scratches on her belly.

I've met a few cream shiba inu they seemed healthy. Tesla is one I met she was healthy the time I met her and very friendly. She is from a good breeder too.

Saya is my first shiba so I'm not so experienced with shiba breed.. Sorry can't help much.

I love cream shiba though they make nice companions.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 6:27pm PST 
From everything I've read and researched, white/cream shibas are no more likely - maybe even less, from my personal experience - to have health or coat problems than other colors. If the fact that urajuro can't be identified means that creams will always get a lower show score, and hence could only be champions if the competition was really dismal, that means breeders are deliberately diminishing the genetic diversity of the breed for the purely self-serving reason that it might hurt their scores. And defending their actions by insinuating that all kinds of unspecified badness comes from white shibas. They don't seem to have the same qualms about breeding oversized dogs, which is not just a fault, but a disqualification (something the AKC doesn't take very seriously if the number of too-big shibas 'at large' is any indication). I'm sorry, but not all breeders have the best intent or judgement and not all home (I won't say "backyard" because these people use it like a curse word) breeders deserve to be reviled. It seems to me that historically, a lot of breeds have been brought closer to ruin by show breeding than by "companion" owners/breeders.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:52pm PST 
We bred a purebred red and a purebred black and tan Shiba and one of the puppies from the litter was a cream. he is awesome. They must have both carried the recessive gene. I agree with an earlier post I read on this: being cream is considered a default -- for show purposes -- not a defect.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 10:09pm PST 
"that means breeders are deliberately diminishing the genetic diversity of the breed for the purely self-serving reason that it might hurt their scores"

I'm not really sure what you mean?

Shiba breed numbers isn't that low that it is hurting genetic diversity..

I mean there is a few breeds who are getting very low in numbers maybe even dangerously low, but there is a lot of shiba inu out there.

Same can be said for B&T not many breed for B&T because it is hard to get correct coloring on one.

Heck sesame is hard to gets.

Most time it is red sesame and not right type of sesame where coloring is different compared to red sesame ones.

I never owned cream shiba so not sure about health.

Bella is white boxer and she is pretty allergic to certain things and well she didn't come from a good breeder.

I think there is some good shiba breeders out there. Doing health checks is important for the breed not enough do it.

Checking for glaucoma is important it's in the breed.. Not sure how common though. Saya is my first shiba.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 3:42pm PST 
got a 3 yr old white n cream dog i think she is a shiba inu. what do u think?
[notify]
gemma

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 4:08pm PST 
i got a 3 yr old dog this week. was told shes a shiba inu what do you think?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24eqq2p&s=5

http://i39. tinypic.com/suvgq9.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/24eqq2p.jpg
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3