GO!

Shiba + Chihuahua = Mini Shiba?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Tsuki, Kit,- Kiba &- Buckley

inubakablog.com

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 9:28am PST 
There is a lot to be said for hybrid vigor. Case in point is the dalmation/pointer cross project to alleviate the life threatening bladder stones 'pure' dalmations are notorious for.

Just to remain pure, these dogs suffer. SUFFER. Its insanity.

So, these are purpose bred crosses which maintain the 'look' of the dalmation with the health that all dogs deserve in their short lives.

I would never want my Buckley to be either Beagle or Bichon, I'm thrilled with his mix, he's perfect. Healthy. Happy. A-freaking-dorable. In fact, the healthiest and most loyal dogs I have owned/fostered were mixes of breeds. APBT mixes make my heart melt, they are by far my favorite.

If there was more RESPONSIBLE breeding practices among "pure" dog breeds - would we be able to eliminate congenital-hereditary disorders like allergies? hip dysplasia? luxating patella? IBD? Heart issues? Thyroid issues? Things that seriously take quality out of the life of the dog.

I'm all for the ending of needless death in unwanted, shelter dogs (pure and outcrossed) but I'm also all for those with two intact dogs to act ethically and responsibly, regardless of breed or purpose. Until these things sink in to the dog owner's head as important and things to be taken seriously, regardless of genetic make-up, dogs will continue to suffer at our hands.

It's a shame.
[notify]
Yoshi

The Ninja

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 5:13pm PST 
I think we all seem to agree that dogs should be bred carefully and with thought into what will happen to the pups later in life. =)
[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 11:24pm PST 
My 9 lbs chihuahua/ shiba inu mix is handsome and manipulative at times. He looks like a fox. I got him from the ASPCA. He's overprotective of me. I'm 5'10,250 lbs. ain't too much I can't handle. Lol. But he's my little bodyguard. Barks a little. But overall pretty mellow.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 6:49am PST 
I have a chihuahua/ shiba mix I got from a shelter. He's cool. I don't care he's mixed he's cute, funny and lovable.
[notify]
Merlin

Barked: Tue Nov 12, '13 8:51am PST 
I just picked up a Shiba Inu x Chihuahua puppy from a puppy rescue, and I couldn't be happier with him! Merlin is a little handful but is so smart and as cute as can be! Just look at his photo! I'm curious as to how big he will get.

I have owned both purebreds and mixed breeds, but prefer mixed breeds because I've found them to be happier, healthier dogs. I also prefer to rescue dogs rather than buy from breeders. And I would NEVER buy from a pet shop!

I'm new to the forum and so I'm happy to be here!
[notify]
Yoshihiko

PAARRTY~!

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 8:19pm PST 
Maggie... Obviously you've unknowingly struck a nerve. It wasn't intentional.. we just feel strongly about some things.

Alarming? yes.. these "designer breeds" they create out of the breed we love is horrifying. So the reactions you read.. is a result.

Shibas are not meant to be the purse puppy of the day. We love that they are indapendant. We love that they keep us on our toes.

We don't want them reduced to yet another popular brand or a hybrid therein.

I'm sorry that maybe sometimes our passion brings out our opinions..

Yoshi's Mama
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 9:26am PST 
Thank you Merlin for rescuing. smile

I don't agree with purposely breeding for shiba/ chihuahua mix as there are so many dogs in shelters needing homes.

An accident sure I seen a few shiba/chi mix in shelters needing homes.

I'm all for getting one from shelter, but purposely doing it is wrong to me.

Bad enough there is some breeders breeding runt shiba to make mini shiba inu.

Shiba normal size is small enough! 14lb to 25lbs seem small enough to me..
[notify]
Squeeba

Hi, I'm a Shiba!- Ever heard of- us?

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 8:33am PST 
Very good points made by T.K.K. & B. ! I'm not condoning BYB and 'designer' mixes, but I watched a very interesting documentary awhile ago. ** I think it was called either "Dogs Decoded" or "The Science of Dogs" ** It noted that the British started the new breed craze, and that 80% of the breeds recognized today didn't exist 150 years ago!
[notify]
Myleigh

Got a ball?

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '14 9:41am PST 
I adopted a shiba inu chihuahua mix from a rescue. Not sure where he came from. I do know he is the sweetest little boy. But we do not call him any cute type name. He is a mutt plain and simple. Mutts are the best "breeds" =D
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2