GO!

Shiba + Chihuahua = Mini Shiba?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie

Foxy Lady

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 1:52pm PST 
I came across some breeders online selling their Shiba and Chi mix as "Mini Shiba". That's not right!!! They should be called a Shibahua or Chihua Inu at the least. Please respect the breed and do not purchase these animals!
[notify]
Yoshi

OK, have you- ever actually- SEEN a fox?

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 2:14pm PST 
Sickening! They should be called a mutt, or a mixed breed. Not any 'cutesy' name to cover up the fact that it's a backyard-bred mutt.
(Nothing against mixed breeds! They are great, but should not be deliberately bred!)
It's sickening how many 'designer' mixes people try to make. I hope the stupid trend fades soon.
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 5:58am PST 
gag me.

and no...chi + shiba does not = mini shiba!!! the nerve!

why do shibas need to be smaller than they already are? so people can have purse-sized shibas? if someone wants a purse-size shiba they probably want the dog to use as an accessory and thinks its soooo cute, instead of a respectable shiba owner who does their research and wants to be the best shiba owner they can.

in addition to the fact, that some breeders ocasionally have Mame Shibas. they shouldnt *try* to breed for this smaller shiba, but from what i understand it just seems so happen every once in a while. we thought this may have been the case with Vixen, but she's about 15lbs now. still the smallest shiba i've met, but Mames are usually 10-12lbs. ANYWAY, if you REALLY wanted a tiny shiba, you could get on a few different breeders waiting lists and have them call you if they have an exceptionally small pup.

our vet told us that the reason for some 'designer breeds' are to have a hypoallergenic dog for people with dog allergies. i guess i can understand that, but with all the cross breeding purposely happening these days i dont see the outcome being very good 20 years from now. just call it what it is: mix, mutt, heinz 57...heehee

i guess i've turned into a bit of a shiba snob. and i dont like little yappy dogs. bol.

sigh. ok, i'm done ranting. BOL! laugh out loud
[notify]

Tobiko

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 10:08am PST 
Man after I read this thread, i went online to search what other mixes Shibas are used in. I found Shibos!!!! Shiba+Boston Terrier. WHY!?!?!?! Also I found Pomerian +Shiba...I guess they wre aiming to get a smaller dog but still fluffy dog. There were some other "designer" breeds. I just don't get why people do this? Why purposely try to alter the breed.
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 11:01am PST 
forgot about this:

a few months ago hubby and i took the pups to the annual celebrity dog wash in our city. we met shiba mix there. i dont think the breeding was really done on purpose, or at least not to create a designer breed, but it was mixed with a shih tzu. so guess what they called it......a shiba sh*t. silenced

ay yi yi.
[notify]
Chakra ~in- loving- memory~

Kyuubi's power- source

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 5:51am PST 
BOL anything mixed with a shih tzu and you get that lol. but yeah did see a shibw on CL that needed a home that was mixed with chi but they werent calling it a new breed just a loving dog. ive seen shiba mixed with alaskan klee kai. i dont know why though.
[notify]
Yoshi

The Ninja

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 7:28pm PST 
I don't particularly like designer breeds, but I also don't get why some of you seem to be so against it. (Particularly referring to Yoshi's comment when you said they "should not be deliberately bred".) I agree that people shouldn't just like a dog because of how "cute" they are, and they should do their research, but there is nothing wrong with mixed breed dogs. In fact, pure bred dogs tend to have more health issues (one of the most common being hip dysplasia), where mixed breed dogs are usually more healthy when it comes to things like this, because they have a more diverse background. Is there something I'm missing?
[notify]
Yoshi

OK, have you- ever actually- SEEN a fox?

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 9:58am PST 
Yoshi-
One reason mutts shouldn't be deliberately bred is that there are endless mixes in shelters being put to sleep.
Another reason being that when you mix 2 dogs, the results are a gamble between breed traits.

Yes, there are many homeless purebreds as well. And most of us here do have adopted shibas, as well as adopted mutts and other breeds.
No one is 'against' the dogs themselves, but against the unnecessary breeding of them while so many are being euthanized, as well as breeding dogs that don't have a predictable outcome.

Yes, there are many health issues with purebreds. Also many health issues with mixed breeds. Usually the health problems with purebreds come from bad breeding, not the fact that they are purebreds.
A good breeder has their breeding dogs- and it's ancestry- checked for potential health and temperament problems. A good breeder will NOT breed a dog who will pass along genetic defects. So a purebred, if from a good breeder, has very minimal chance of having all those 'breed specific' flaws you hear so much about.

Good breeders of purebred dogs are breeding mainly for the sake of improving their breed. They don't breed litters for fun or specifically as pets. The main intentions are to keep the breed healthy and good tempered while maintaining the appearance and spirit of the breed.
Getting a well-bred purebred dog you can know the size, appearance, temperament, and health it will be.
There are exceptions to every rule of course, but getting an unhealthy dog from a reputable purebred breeder is rare. Getting an unhealthy purebred from a pet store or backyard breeder is much more likely.

The people who deliberately breed mixes are not breeding to enhance a breed or for health, etc. all these designer breeds are more of a "what will these 2 breeds' puppies look like and what cute new name can I call them to sell them?"
A good breeder doesn't mix their lines into other breeds. It is pointless to try and make new mixes in a world where we have countless amounts of dogs being euthanized.

However I do know there are purebreds that have health problems because of the way they are shaped- usually the breeds bred to have very exaggerated unnatural features. I do think it's wrong to keep breeding purebreds that have piles of health problems because we want them to look a certain way (such as bulldogs).
I feel that when the way a dog is designed means that it's going to live a very unhealthy life, then the standard needs to be changed to allow new shape to make the breed healthier. If having a leaner body and slightly longer face would prevent all the health issues of a bulldog, then they should start making that change.

If mixing a new breed had a genuine purpose that they were going for, then that would also be a different story than random people breeding mutts. If they discovered that mixing 2 breeds over generations to make a new purebred that was much more effective at something to help humans then I couldn't argue with that. Like a dog that was much superior to a German Shepherd at search and rescue, etc. Most of the breeds we know were made by mixing breeds in the past to get the traits needed for certain jobs.
But in our world today, where humans have turned this into a very disposable world, we have let our beautiful companion species overbreed without reason and now have shelters and streets overrun with dogs (and cats) dying because humans let it get that way.
Unless you are breeding for a genuine reason keeping your breed healthy, there is no humane reason to be bringing more dogs into the world while the numbers being euthanized are heart-shattering.
[notify]
Yoshi

The Ninja

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 3:23pm PST 
Yoshi: Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate it.

I agree that people should look at adopting a dog from a shelter, rather than buying one from a pet store, or breeding more. (Looking back on it, I wish I would have picked up a dog from a shelter instead of buying from a breeder, but I still love my Yoshi, and wouldn't trade him for the world.) This goes for both pure bred and mixed breed dogs, though. Then again, there are more mixed breed dogs in shelters, so I can see the concern. If they stop being "popular" will they all end up in shelters? That's a sad thought. =(

I agree with pretty much everything you said, and I think you made a lot of good points. You are very knowledgeable on the subject. Thank you for all the information. =)
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 4:29pm PST 
yes, yoshi did well on the clarification! all excellent points.

for me, i just want a shiba. i dont want one that is deliberately mixed with something else. i want the breed protected. i'm also not a fan of yappy or designer dogs, since yappy dogs are annoying and not cute (again, in my opinion) and some designer dogs are just ridiculous. but also for the point yoshi made about 'what can i mix to get a cute dog and what can i name it'. cant a dog just be a dog? and i'm not against mutts either...i've met some great ones and owned a mutt growing up and he was a fantastic dog. i'm just partial to shibas now!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2