GO!

Shibas as Therapy/Service Dogs?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Ms. Shiba

Attitude comes- in small- packages!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 5:52pm PST 
Wow how fun! Ms. Shiba starts doggie school on Thursday, and the place we are taking her does certification testing for one of the therapy organizations here in town. Maybe I will talk to someone after the class is over and see what they think of her.
[notify]
Henry

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 9:22pm PST 
There's a woman on the shiba rescue list who takes her pups to the library to read to the kids. Apparently, they are espcially good with disabled kids. I think Chad would make a great therapy dog...
[notify]
Suki

Unofficial Shiba- Inu Spokesdog

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 12:32pm PST 
Monica, there is a program around here for that too. Several libraries & a few school reading programs are opened up for therapy dogs. I think Suki would love that, we shall see snoopy.
[notify]

Yuuki

Humans are so- hard to train

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 1:06pm PST 
Here is a good article on the subject. Dog makes final visit. Shows just how much one little shiba can do for people.
[notify]
Nami

I'm just a- little cutie.

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 2:31pm PST 
I started out life as a therapy pup. wink My breeder worked at an assisted living facility and would take me there to comfort people. They loved me there. My new mommy thought that I would be a lap dog because of that. I fooled her. big laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]
Takumi

I rock the 'do.

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 4:05pm PST 
Yuuki, thank you for sharing that article! It's such a beautiful thing that that shiba could be a therapy dog.

And thank you everyone for sharing your interests and sharing information!

We'll just wait and see what my shiba has in store for me!
[notify]
The Keeks- (2005-2013)

Shaking it (not- breaking it)- since 2005!

Barked: Fri May 9, '08 10:56am PST 
I’ve been thinking about expanding Keeks training to CGC or therapy too. I think Keeks definitely has the temperament to be a great therapy dog - but I'm not sure about her attitude. What if a shy kid was reading to her and Keeks let out one of her famous “annoyed sounding” sighs. wink laugh out loud
[notify]
Yuki

Mommy's service- puppy

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 4:15pm PST 
I realize this thread has been dead for some time, but I just needed to comment.

My three yr old Black and Tan shiba, Yuki, has been my hearing dog for two years now. She started her training at the age of six weeks, which is when I got her. She accompanies me everywhere. In fact, I am attending a residency in Sarasota, Florida for my masters program in counseling this weekend and of course she is attending with me. We are inseparable. Yes, Shibas are harder to train. This just means that they require more time and attention in their training. They are a stubborn breed. I fortunately have the time to dedicate my time to her. But if it were not or her I would rarely leave my house. Shibas are kind of like cats in the respect that they bond strongly to one person. This makes it difficult for them to accept others petting and cuddling them for long periods of time whom they are not familiar with. So as therapy dogs, they only perform moderately well.

So they do exist; just not often. My Yuki is a testament to that. If you happen to see a Black and Tan Shiba in an orange hearing dog vest in Florida, we might be that very team. wink
[notify]
Kiba -CGC- -TDI-

silly human say- wha?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 8:01am PST 
i have 2 of mine as as cgc and therapy dogs. and working on getting the others cgc.
[notify]
Boomer - Animal Actor- Extrodi

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 11:22am PST 
Hello, I;m sad to report Boomer ( the Shiba Inu Actor ) has left my life - I hope to see him again though - 18 years & 3 months want long enough

I myself am very hard of Hearing & am looking to get a hearing dog ...
I am caught in a major delema - I'm addicted to Shibas - & training facilities / groups for hearing dogs are lab, poodle etc orientated. Has anyone heard of a Shiba Hearing Service dog ?? thats happy ( or semi happy ) working ?? I don't want a miserable working Shiba - nor a brow beatten one. Any imput would be greatly appreciated
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2