GO!

sad puppy?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Hobson

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 9:09pm PST 
Hi! i have had a sheltie for about two and a half months now and somedays are better than others. When he was little he never barked but since about 4 months till now (he's almost 6months) he barks almost non-stop. The only thing that helps is a REALLY long walk (normally about an hour and a half long or longer to really get him to stop barking 24/7. I understand that shelties are very talkative dogs which for the most part i am fine with. The only problem is i worry i am not doing enough for him, i try to train him but he becomes grumpy after awhile and barks more. I just want him to be happy what do i do?
P.s. i am a highschooler with elderly(ish) parents ages 61 and 70 so they cannot help me out too much exercisewise
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 3:52pm PST 
Do you have a fenced in yard? If so, puppy can go out and play in the yard for awhile each day. My sheltie will be one this month. He barks a lot in the evenings. He wants my undivided attention when I get home from work. This is especially true after my daughter goes back to college. My beagle is almost nine and will play with him for a bit, but she gets tired of playing and needs a break. I find letting him out several times in order to run around a bit and playing a little fetch inside the house with his favorite stuffed animal as well, allows him a bit of an outlet. He likes to talk to me alot as well. His talking is quite different from his barking. He really thinks he is carrying on a conversation with me. They are an active dog. I cannot give hour long walks because of a medical condition, so I have just had to find a way around it. Shelties love to be kept busy.snoopy
[notify]
Carter

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 11:43pm PST 
for training you can find a training program that's cheap in your area. or you can go to your local pet store a buy some dog training books to help you out. Shelties are really smart dogs, they tend to catch on real fast. I had my sheltie fully trained within two weeks. except for the chewing of course.His chewing has recently stopped and he is just over two years old.To give him something to do since his barking is out of boredom you can put peanutbutter in a kong and put the kong in the freezer, your sheltie will spend hours trying to get the peanut butter out of the kong. : ) have fun with your sheltie, i did!
[notify]