GO!

MDR1 testing for $35

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 9:01pm PST 
Hi all, I've heard though my ES grapevine that Animal Genetics (http://www.horsetesting.com/), is now offering MDR1 testing for $35. It's not on their website yet, so you have to call to get the test kit. Turnaround time is supposedly good according to one response on my list.
[notify]
Romeo

CD RE (CKC) CRS- RV (CARO) FDX- SJATD HIC

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 7:34am PST 
Thanks Chandler!

I have had the test done on Gio previously (a group was doing research on the link between MDR1 and refractory canine epilepsy, so offered the test results in exchange for DNA sample). I've been considering having Romeo tested.
[notify]
Duncan, CD,- CGN, RNMCL,- RACL,

velcro dog

Barked: Mon Feb 22, '10 9:13pm PST 
what was the result from Gio's test?? I have thought about getting my 4 done, especially Duncan and Mila, as they had reactions to the flea/heartworm medication Sentinal. I am sure this is what caused Duncan's seizures, but I would love to know if the MDR1 gene has anything to do with it.

Oh, and is this a Canadian company, or American? Just wondering how hard it would be to get the testing done due to shipping, etc. I am in BC.
[notify]

Romeo

CD RE (CKC) CRS- RV (CARO) FDX- SJATD HIC

Barked: Wed Mar 3, '10 10:54am PST 
Gio was negative for the mutation.
[notify]
Duncan, CD,- CGN, RNMCL,- RACL,

velcro dog

Barked: Thu Apr 1, '10 7:39pm PST 
Where did you get Gio's testing done (company)? How much did it cost? I heard you cannot get it done in Canda, which is why I am curious.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Wed Apr 7, '10 2:51pm PST 
It wasn't through any particular company and I didn't pay for it. A research group somewhere in the US was doing a study on medically refractive epilepsy and the MDR1 mutation. They sent a call out for cheek swabs from dogs on medication for epilepsy. They genotyped at the MDR1 mutation and reported back to participants on the status of their dog. I don't know what the final outcome of their study was, whether MDR1 is indeed linked to medically refractive epilepsy or not. But I did get the results from Gio's test.

ETA: I think most of the companies that offer the test are in the US, but they likely only require a cheek swab for testing. This is easily sent out in the mail, just in a regular envelope, so wouldn't be a problem for shipping.

Edited by author Wed Apr 7, '10 2:52pm PST

[notify]