GO!

Our 1 in a million pup

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bailey

If it's not- bolted down,- it's a toy!

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 3:39pm PST 
Bailey has been diagnosed with dermatomyositis a.k.a. Sheltie Skin Syndrome. Our original vet wasted 2 months of our time b/c he didn't think that it was DM. He started losing the fur around his eyes, nose, and on the tip of his tail. He wasn't itchy or acting any differently. Oh, and the places where he was losing his fur turned scabby. It's not a pretty sight. He's been on treatment for about 2 weeks. He's got another 6 weeks to go. I hope it works. So, be on the lookout for this in your puppies and trust that YOU know your dog best. If I let the first vet get his way, Bailey would be undergoing treatment for lupus.
[notify]
Mojo

Where\'s the- jumps?

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:15am PST 
Yes, a lot of vets aren't familiar with DM since it's mostly just Shelties that get it. There's a LOT of research going on to find out exactly how the DM gene is passed. Definitely let the breeder know. Do you have the pedigree for Bailey? I would be interested in seeing it.

I've known a couple rescue Shelties who have DM, the did surprising well especially when fed a natural diet. Goodluck to Bailey, keep us posted on how he's doing!
[notify]
Duncan, CD,- CGN, RNMCL,- RACL,

velcro dog

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 6:46pm PST 
Duncan gets Dm. The spots start as small as a pencil eraser, and slowly grow. The biggest I have seen it get is the size of a quarter. The marks are usually on his nose. They get all ready and scabby and the hair falls out.

What my vet said is to clean it daily with hibitane and keep it clean and dry. The marks tend to clear up within a few days, a week at the longest.

What has your vet given your dogs for treatment?
[notify]

Bailey

Barked: Wed Nov 11, '09 4:03am PST 
We got very bad news yesterday. Bailey is showing signs of his esophagus being affected. The vet @ Cornell (that my vet is consulting with) said that once it progresses to this stage there is little that can be done. He's been on pentoxyifylline and vitamin E for a few months and we're starting prednisone today. The vet told me that I need to prepare to put him down. Needless to say, I haven't been able to stop crying. We're hoping for a miracle.
[notify]
Wall-e

Loving our snowy- Canadian winter!

Barked: Thu Nov 12, '09 5:09pm PST 
We'll be praying for Bailey!! Good luck with him.

~Mika and Wall-e
[notify]
Bailey

Wild Child

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 9:45am PST 
I am so sorry about your Bailey. That decision is never easy. I'll be praying for him.
[notify]
Duncan, CD,- CGN, RNMCL,- RACL,

velcro dog

Barked: Sat Dec 5, '09 8:40pm PST 
We are very sorry to hear this. We hope things go ok, and you atleast get through the holidays with your furry friend.
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Wed Dec 9, '09 6:09am PST 
So, we thought that we were seeing some improvement. Bailey's fur started to grow back above his eyes. We were hopeful that we found the right combination of medications. Last night, he had trouble swallowing and somehow a large area of skin erupted. This lesion is in the same spot that he had during the summer. I don' t understand why this area of his face keeps opening up. Now I have to try to keep 3 dogs separated while I'm on bed rest and my husband is out of town. This should be fun.
[notify]
Mojo

Where\'s the- jumps?

Barked: Fri Dec 18, '09 9:01am PST 
We certainly have Bailey in our prayers. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.
[notify]
Bailey

Barked: Mon Mar 15, '10 5:35am PST 
Bailey's disease is progressing. Most dogs recover within 6 months of treatment and the treatment barely slowed the progression of the disease. It doesn't look like there is any reason to start another round of treatment. So, it looks like we'll be going from 3 shelties to 1 in a matter of months.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2