GO!

How do you know it's time?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Brandy- (2/1994 - 1/2010)

Sleeping Beauty

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 4:19pm PST 
Brandy is going to be 16 this February. For the past 6 months, she's been losing control of her bowels and has episodes of throwing up (sometimes as many as 16 times in one night). We have to keep her separated from the other pups b/c she doesn't get along with them. She will not eat kibble anymore. The only thing that she'll eat are biscuits. My breeder said that at her age, I might as well give her whatever she wants. I'm cleaning up after her a few times a week during the day. We've had to crate her over night b/c there would always be a "present" waiting for us in the morning. The problem is that she doesn't act sick and the vet hasn't found anything physically wrong with her. I just don't know what I should do.
[notify]
Duncan, CD,- CGN, RNMCL,- RACL,

velcro dog

Barked: Thu Aug 20, '09 6:15pm PST 
Does she look like she has life in her eyes? If she is still eating and drinking, and her eyes are happy and clear (you know what I mean about the eyes), I would let her have what she wants, and just take the cleaning up of the messes for the time being.

If she looks like she is in pain (the eyes tell all), she isn't eating, or drinking, I would want to make a decision.

To avoid the messes, you could buy her doggie diapers and put heavy flow maxi pads or depends in doggie underwear.

Good luck. I wish my dogs to make it to that age.
[notify]
Bailey

Wild Child

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 8:16am PST 
I would say as long as she's lively and doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain then it's not time
[notify]

SHEBA- 1994--10/06/- 07

Let's Snuggle!

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 4:24pm PST 
I would say the same thing, if she acts lively and her eyes look alive, I would do what the others suggested.

I waited too long to put down my 17 yr old sheltie, but he didn't have that light in his eyes anymore, plus he couldn't eat, or hardly walk.
I will forever regret not helping him over to rainbow bridge, because I couldn't stand the idea of him not being with us anymore. I (we) were selfish. But he was our first sheltie or pet that lived with us that long. He was the main man of the house (aside from hubby, of coursse) and the kiddos.
We all loved him so much!
[notify]

Sleeping Beauty

Barked: Wed Jan 13, '10 2:13pm PST 
Brandy lunged at Scotch today and latched onto his neck. He wasn't even bothering her. She just ran up to him and grabbed his neck. She's significantly smaller, so Scotch ended up dragging her a few feet until I could pull her off of him. Scotch seems to be ok right now. He will get some extra special treats and belly rubs tonight. I think this is a very clear sign that she's just not the dog she used to be.
[notify]
Shadow

Throw the ball

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 9:59am PST 
We're sorry to hear Brandy's time is almost up. I think everyone has the same question, how do you know it's time. I think you'll know when it's time. If she stops eating for a few days, is lethargic, or she just has the look in her eyes that she's telling you 'it's time'. In the end you'll know because you care so much that you'll do what's best for her even though it will hurt you so much to do it.

Buttons, Bows, & Beamer will be waiting to show her around when the time comes. Buttons would have been 16 today.
[notify]

Sleeping Beauty

Barked: Wed Jan 27, '10 5:26am PST 
Yesterday, we noticed that Brandy has kept losing weight, despite the fact that she had been eating well over the last 2 weeks. We decided that we needed to end her suffering and send her to the rainbow bridge where she could be happy.
[notify]
Mojo

Where\'s the- jumps?

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 1:45pm PST 
Oh Brandy, I am so sorry! It is not easy making the decision to help our Shelties on to rainbow bridge, but what a long, happy life she lived! She is no longer suffering...we have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers...
[notify]