GO!

My Sheltie and his barking.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Johnnie

I'm Bringin'- Sexy Back

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 3:21pm PST 
CECE Your right obedience is a great thing to do help you alot.Do NOT go with bark collars no matter what any one says.
[notify]
Jayna

Play innocent,- you get away- with more!

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 8:17pm PST 
I have an issue with my dogs barking (as they all start to sound off right now!!) Our house was quiet until we got Mila, and she made up for 3 years of quiet! She starts, the rest start!

I decided, since I have the 4 dogs, and the one behind us barks like mad too (HUGE, really mean, golden) I would buy the unit that you place in a common area, and when the dog barks, it emits a high pitched noise which is supposed to hurt the dogs ears, and cause them to stop barking. I put the batteries in, and put it on the fence, so any barking from either side of the fence would cause it to go off. I tried it for a week, and then promptly took it back to get my $50 because it did not stop the barking. I think it may have made it worse!

I know if my dogs are being idiots outside and barking for no good reason, they have to come in, which is a bummer, cause they like to be outside. If they are good, they get to go back out and play ball.

The barking is definitely harder to control when you have multiple dogs, but it can be done.
[notify]
Bandit

Poopar

Barked: Fri Sep 12, '08 7:11am PST 
my older sheltie barks too much
it rings through my head and its so loud and irritating
[notify]

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 9:22pm PST 
With Treader, he gets excited when it comes to meeting other dogs. He doesn't bark unless the other dog makes him nervous in some way, but maybe you can try this.
I have Treader sit before he can meet another dog. It helps proof his obedience. At first, he was too excited to obey. Now he will sit sometimes. We're working towards an immediate sit even with distractions. Maybe you can substitute sit for "quiet" and don't let him meet the other until he's quiet. If he doesn't get quiet, walk away and don't let him meet the other dog. It may take a few times or more, but it does work.
[notify]
McTippers- Moonstruck- Zephyr RN

Mr. Z

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 6:41pm PST 
Yeah. I have a three year old sheltie that won't shut up when I tell him to. Tula and Luke egg him on and I have to hold his mouth shut andd ten seconds later I tell him "good boy. good quiet." I've been at it for two weeks or so and it is sort of working. Maybe if I keep up...
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2