GO!

My Sheltie and his barking.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tezla

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 9:17am PST 
Tezla never use to bark when he was young. Once he started maturing.. he became abit yappy at other dogs. And sometimes people. It's abit annoying, his bark is really loud. And no matter what I do he just won't... shut up! silenced

I read up and learned that most Shelties do yap a lot. But he just started this. I recently got him neutered too... Vet said he might calm down abit.. but still, his barking is LOUD. It's actually not barking. It's a LOUD howl.. then he barks, lol. People are like "aww he's cute" at first.. then he barks and they're walking away. red face

What can I do to help him from going nuts when he sees other dogs?

Edited by author Wed Sep 10, '08 9:35am PST

[notify]
CeCe

Hey, Look At- ME!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 6:58pm PST 
Treats are always good. Taking his attention away from the other dogs and focusing it on you. Make him look in your eyes when another dog comes around by putting the treat next to your face. Focus the attention to you until the other dog walks by. Pretty soon he will be looking for a treat, instead of wanting to bark. We have been working on "quiet" praising CeCe when she doesn't bark, it's harder though. Shelties are just natural barkers.
[notify]
Murphy

Roadrunner--Born- to Run!!

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 12:32pm PST 
A dog trainer suggested that you teach your dog to speak. Then you can teach them not to speak. Murphy barks a lot, too, as do all Shelties. I'm going to give this method a shot. It kind of makes sense. When they associate the word "speak" with barking, then you should be able to get them to stop "speaking". Maybe that is just wishful thinking. laugh out loud
[notify]

Duncan, CD,- CGN, RNMCL,- RACL,

velcro dog

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 10:49pm PST 
I have heard the "shaking a can of pennies" method, clapping your hands really loud, taking their muzzle in your hand and saying no bark. I have tried everything, and once you get a herd, one barks, they all bark, quite hard to control. You have to make sure you keep on them at all times. Don't let him bark one time, but then don't react to the next one. Be consistent. He should get it...........eventually!
[notify]
Rocky

Barked: Tue Aug 19, '08 10:17pm PST 
Oh biy. Shelties are considered to be a barky breed. THis is not the type of dog you want if barking is a proble,. Since shelties are herders, that is what they use to keep the herd in line...they bark and nip...loudly. Training is the only way I have been able to get mine to stop. Mine know they are t stop barking when I tell them "enough" and point at them. It took a lot of training for each, but since shelties are very smart and learn things 95% of the ime with about 5 taught commands (and continuing training for that comand) they can be taught when the barking needs to stop.

God luck
[notify]
Lady

MOM!!! LETS- RUN!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 7:14am PST 
My sheltie does the samething. Everytime we get company she loves to just bark that them. When my family and I are outside and she inside all she does Howled really loud. She gets really annoying after that. She also likes to show her teeth at Buckley my goldendoodle and bite him. Sometimes we think she just want to be in controlled.
[notify]
Brody

Be Patient!!

Barked: Mon Sep 8, '08 8:54am PST 
I feel like I'm at my wit's end with Brody's barking. I am now thinking about a bark collar..which is a last resort that I didn't want to turn to. I don't want the shock kind, so I'm thinking of the high pitch sound variety which I heard works. Does anyone have any suggestions? What are the chances if I use the bark collar for a short time that I never have to use it again and the barking stops? Please help!
[notify]
CeCe

Hey, Look At- ME!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 8, '08 12:29pm PST 
SHELTIES BARK................
[notify]
Johnnie

I'm Bringin'- Sexy Back

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 9:10am PST 
My sheltie's bark at the kides if there being mean to them or at the dog they HATE inbehined my house.Daisy Mae doesn't bark alot yet (KNOCK ON WOOD).But johnnie but a bit so there was a few things i did.
1. most shelties bark cause they need a longer walk or a really good run.Building up of energy.i know you probably walk him but he might need a longer walk or and off leash run.
2.Using treats is a good one but you don't want to bribe him.
3.Some people may dissagree but if johnnie is barking and i go outside and he's not barking for a good reason.I put the mussel on him for 2 min's then i take it off.If i come out and he's barking for a good reason then i don't put the mussel on i kept doing this for a month.Then he stopped.know he know the difference he caught a girl breaking into the house behind us that good barking.He got a big treat for that.
[notify]
CeCe

Hey, Look At- ME!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 1:16pm PST 
Ok, sorry I needed a moment. Please do not get a bark collar, try positive reinforcement first. Try figuring out first why your puppy is barking, does it want outside, is there someone in the house. If you don't want the barking, or need the barking to stop, redirect the focus, a can with coins, a toy. Try wearing your Sheltie out by taking him for a walk. Running around with him outside, teaching him a little agility, give him a job. Shelties are smart, and they learn very quickly. Save your money on the bark collar and take him to obedience class. But always remember, Shelties are herding dogs, barking is what Shelties were bred to do.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2