GO!

Best way to educate people About American Pit Bull Terriers?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Mocha

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 11:00am PST 
I work with a rescue and foster puppies I am on my 7th foster puppy Mocha who is a Pit bull terrier mix puppy and I had another Pit Bull Terrier puppy who was my 6th foster puppy. I have fallen in love with Pit Bull Terriers! Mocha is the snugglist thing ever and loves being on you're lap when sleepy. She is so loyal and a very smart girl who loves showing people her tricks!!! I have had her two months now she has had two good apps but both lived in a apartment and we don't allow Pit Bull mixes to go to apartmentsfrown At our rescue I have a whole page on why Pit Bull Terriers make great pets and we have a sheet that shows that They test extremely high on temperament testing compared to other dogs. I'm sick of people thinking they are all people aggressive when they are actually can be more dog aggressive and have higher prey drive.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 3:36pm PST 
I love the APBTs too. They're amazing dogs. The one I know is sweeter than my Golden Retriever.
I hate it SO much. My own family thinks they are mean and "ugly" LIE. There's not much you can do besides what you're doing. You could put stunning, heartbreaking, facts on the flyers. (Denver killed 300 innocent pit bulls and pitbull mixes, just because of two dog attacks.) Media is always covering stories on pitbulls, but labs? Nope. That's rare.

Edited by author Tue Dec 10, '13 3:40pm PST

[notify]
Caledonia

Sad-Eyed Doggie- of the Lowlands

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 8:03am PST 
It's funny how when you become a bully advocate you start to get a sixth sense about finding like-minded people. The cashier at the supermarket last night commented on the doggie goodies and we got to talking about dogs.

She knew pit bulls and had one as a family dog. She agreed that once you've had one, you will ALWAYS have one. The perfect combination of lap dog, exercise companion, bodyguard, clown and devoted licky baby.

It's about perception...GSD's and rotties were demonized at one time too. I read about a case in Florida where a dachshund mauled an infant to death. Now you know the breed ban people didn't start seizing all the dachshunds.

They're mis-identified by the press. If there's an attack by virtually any mutt it's described as a "pit bull". Something else I find offensive is music video's that glorify the stupidity of thug life.

Bad enough the message it sends to young people and the way they present women. But the dogs as well...a young woman in booty shorts walking a bully with spiked collar. Just the stereotyping we do not need...

We want to teach people by example. If you have a well trained, well socialized dog, you can show the world one person at a time that our dogs are not monsters.

There was a Halloween party we went to this year. Callie was possibly the only American bull there. But he was dressed in his hotdog costume for warmth. It helped to make him look less threatening and a lot of people were happy to pet him.

We also discovered he's really comfortable with other dogs and children too. I'm sure we changed more than a few people's perception of "fighting dogs" that day. That's definitely one positive step towards educatingcheer
[notify]

Kagra

Lover girl

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 5:32pm PST 
I know what you are going through, while I currently do not have a pit I love the breed and have fostered many (including Kagra). My golden and I are in a therapy dog group and we have a few pits in the group. I was visiting with a new member and her pit bull mix named Harley. He is a dark brindle boy with a big block head..i think he is too cute but understand why people could be intimidated (i think he is adorable). He is a registered therapy dog who pasted a test to be able to do this. Well the nurse kept avoiding Harley and coming to me and my golden. I finally asked the nurse why she was avoiding Harley and she said it was because he is a pit and they are all mean, she went on to tell me that she was shocked the group allowed pit bulls. By this time Harley and his owner were with a patient I told them to visit and Harley was laying his head in the patients lap. I looked at the nurse and pointed out that this pit bull was making more progress with this patient then my golden and I had in 6 months. this patient did not talk to anyone, her family has all but abandoned her and she is basically a mute, but here she was talking away to Harley the pit bull (she never talks to my golden).

One thing I have seen people do to their pit bulls to make them less intimidating is to paint their nails (Harley's are usually blue or green). This seems to make people think they are not as scary.
[notify]
Caledonia

Sad-Eyed Doggie- of the Lowlands

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 1:43pm PST 
I agree, nail polish, cutesy bandannas...no black leather or spikes...think Callie in his hot dog costume. I think it really helped when people looked at him- if he looks that silly and allowed himself to be dressed up, how fearsome can he really be?

I have next years costume already. I'm altering a child's pink tutu and adding little angel wings. An imposing dog in drag is even sillierlaugh out loud
[notify]
Kagra

Lover girl

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 5:07pm PST 
You have to post pictures of next years costume! It sounds to cute and funny
[notify]