GO!

What is the best way to give a dog up for adoption?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Blackie

Barked: Sun Dec 1, '13 8:14pm PST 
What is the best way to give a dog up for adoption?

Edited by author Thu Dec 5, '13 2:02pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 2:51am PST 
I am sorry you have to give your dog uphug I take it that the problem is that he does not do well with other dogs?

Start with asking family and friends. If they can't take him, maybe they know someone who can . Sometimes social media ( Facebook, Dogster , ect) is one way to get him out there. Be honest in why you are giving him up. Charge an adoption fee to weed out less desirable candidates. Above all, check out the person you are adopting out to very thoughtfully. If you get a "gut feeling" that something is wrong, listen to it. hug
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 2:58am PST 
spambot bump up
[notify]

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 1:44pm PST 
Shouldn't this be in the Adoption section and not food and nutrition?

I'd surrender the dog to a reputable rescue in your area. A rescue that does house checks and proper interviews of potential candidates.

Whatever you do, do not put the poor dog on Craigslist. Dog fighters get bait dogs from there and there is a plethora of other reasons to not use these sites.

While you can use social media, there is nothing more annoying than people sharing "please adopt or this dog dies" type of posts (for some reason, every single adoption attempt I've seen on Facebook has been alarmist and laced with threats of euthanasia, often immediate one). Especially when these posts circulate for ages and get out of the area of where the dog actually resides. Ask your friends, sure, but please do not share a guilt trip facebook post to be circulated freely.
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 2:34pm PST 
I also agree with asking friends or families and NO Craigslist or Kijiji. If need be surrender your dog to a rescue. This way you know the new owner will be a good one since rescue do interviews for the right owner.
[notify]