GO!

Shouldn't all rescues spay/neuter before adoption?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kloppers

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 5:29am PST 
I have been working with a rescue for the past 5 wks and I am left feeling perhaps they are not someone I want to support. I understand the need to save dogs from high kill shelters, but I feel if you are committing to saving them you owe them a fighting chance at a forever home.

The rescue recently increased their fees from 150-300, which I understand but the rescue does nothing but pay the pulling cost to the shelter. The animals are vaccinated by the shelter, then brought to us to foster, foster commitment doesn't mean much. The run week by week, so the current dog I have had been in 3 different fosters before I took her in, I have had her 2 wks now. When I asked what they knew about her...nothing was the answer. So when the dogs are dropped off, they don't even ask anything...and how are these pups suppose to find the best home.

Then their adoption agreement says all puppies should be spayed/neutered by 6 months of age, yet here I have a 7 month old puppy who will be adopted unspayed...that doesn't make sense to me. The puppies do not get hw prevention so even if they did test them it wouldn't matter, and they are given flea baths when pulled but nothing is applies after. I do understand this is expensive but in my opinion important.

The have listed as reasons for costs rising, electricity...what electricity? All these dogs are in private fosters and the adoption events are held outside a local pet store..gas, I understand that because they drive hrs to bring these pups here, vet costs, although they do have some special needs pets..my last foster needed to see a vet and I told them and they said they would look at it and determine sat at the event, that was 5 days later. I took him to my own vet instead.

Last weekend alone there were 3 previous adopter surrenders. They do not do a home check or anything. I have meant some truly amazing people here, but I feel this rescue isn't actually doing what is best, if that makes sense. They currently do have 4 mama dogs with litters, but 2 of those litters were surprise litters. The fosters came home and there said to be 4month-1yr dog had had puppies. That brings up anothe issue, they suck at guessing an age of dogs. They told me my last foster was 3-4 months, this dog had all is adult teeth and some milks staining on his canines. Someone asked last week how old one of the dogs was and the response was 4m to a year, that is a big difference.

The adoption events are crazy and no one knows anything, I try to familiarize myself with as much info as I can get my hands on, but I don't have access to the medical info. Alot of adopters ask how big we think the pups will get, which having a current weight will help. There is no info on the cages for the pups, most fosters do a drop off, so they drop there dog off and come back after if they want to or if it doesn't get adopted. I stay with mine so I can personally talk with the interested parties.

So..I guess my ramble is over, is this all normal rescue behavior? I have only worked with breed specific rescues and they were usually adults, but they did everything for the fosters. We were trying this rescue because my kids wanted to do puppies, and they seem to work with alot.
[notify]
Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 1:22pm PST 
Wow. I don't think this rescue has good practices. Why pull dogs out of a shelter when you're not going to do any work on the dogs and provide them with furhter medical care, etc. The raising of the fees and none of that changing is sketchy.

A good rescue does ensure complete vet care which includes spaying and neutering, ensures that the animals are not moved around too much (a different foster each week? that's so traumatizing!), gets to know the dogs and is able to provide information about their personality, strong/weak points and will do a home visit.

Not sure if this is some money scam but if they have drastically raised fees and you cannot see where the money is going, then something could be up. It might all be done with good intentions but by no means is this how a good rescue operates.
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 3:01pm PST 
I'm with Hazel on this one...sounds like this "rescue" is in need of some rescuing!!!!
[notify]

Kloppers

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 5:52am PST 
Thank you for your responses, I felt the same way. I am going to finish my obligation to my current foster dog and then not continue to work with this rescue.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 6:45am PST 
I adopted Seela through a shelter site. We traveled a long way to get her - Nova Scotia to Boston. I had assumed she was spayed. I payed the $300.00 then had her spayed on our own. All of her shots, heart worm etc were up to date. I was determined to get her though as she had the same working lines as a previous dog I had - which I just loved. All in all, she was a very expensive adoption but I have no regrets. When we adopted Willie in Alberta (he was from Hobema reserve) we had home visits, house check and he was neutered (a little young for my liking) and we payed $300.00 for him also. All of these rescue places operate differently.

At a minimum, the rescue places certainly has to have all shots/heartworm up to date. Spaying or neutering should be done, but sometimes it is up to the adopter to pay. I just think it is a way of helping the rescue group out by offering to pay for the spay/neuter.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:27am PST 
I worked for a small shelter in rural Pennsylvania for a few months and we had many of the same problems you are seeing. Anyone could walk in and for $50, you could take any animal home with you that day. I saw more dogs come back than stay out in new homes. The shelter would set you up with an appointment with the vet to get reduced spay/neuter, but they didn't follow up. But this was all because of a legitimate lack of funds/staffing. There were 2 people there who had been there for years and years, plus a rotating staff of kennel workers who would last less than 6 months before quitting (that was my job, I didn't even last 6 months). They were not funded by the state and really didn't have the money or manpower to do all the things a proper rescue should. Don't know if this is the same problem your place is having, but that was what happened with mine. It was the most miserable place I've ever worked in my entire life.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 11:31am PST 
Definitely not normal. I would expect everything to be included (spay/neuter, shots etc.) from a foster based rescue especially for that adoption fee. I can see exceptions being made here and there perhaps for medical reasons. Shelters I give leniency towards because small shelters (especially rural ones) can't really afford to do much more than house the dogs for a limited time.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 3:50pm PST 
Egads. No, that is not normal.

Some rescues (even shelters) don't pre speuter. That's not ethical. There is a shelter expression, "better dead than bred." I can understand that logic, for particularly in these higher volume shelters, you see the effects of capricious breeding and how many may die for the one unspeutered dog. You really can't be big picture or have your heart in the right place by releasing unspeutered dogs. It's why we have a problem.

Other points....I don't understand the rotating foster thing at ALL. I suppose one reason for foster is so pulled dogs have a place to go, but save that this policy is counter intuitive to the primary reasons for fostering....give pooch some normalcy, time for assessment for correct placement, any issues to work on, etc. ??????????????

Re the cash angle - someone is pocketing money. Period.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 4:54pm PST 
That's a rescue I would stay very, very far away from! I'm with Tiller, too, do you think they could be stealing? There's a rescue around here that had some trouble with the founder using rescue money to replace a lot of her large appliances. There was also someone with a different group (I want to say it was a very large animal control or humane society, but I can't remember). They were loaning the rescue's money to family members, and were not setting deadlines to have it paid back, they got in legal trouble,
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 1:00pm PST 
It sounds like there's something wrong there. We live in an expensive area and our dogs were $200 each adoption fee. That included spay/neuter, shots, worming, micro chipping and free access to their medical clinic for three months if you didn't have a private vet yet.

I feel that kind of package gives new owner a good start with their new pet. It also begins the dog healthy and inspires staying responsible with medical care. $300 is a lot of money not to include spaying IMHO.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2